Help please....my Sony SA5000s...pad lifted..
Mar 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jtwn

100+ Head-Fier
Not the ear pad :wink: But the pad (or whatever you call it where you terminate the cables on to the driver has lifted on my SA5000s).

I only recently re-cabled these headphones with an old HD600 cable. Well, I feel asleep with them on to wake up a few hours later...with sound only coming out of the left channel. Great...so I resolder them etc...screw the housing back together...still doesn't work. I tried a continuinity test and all appears fine. Could not understand. After the third or so time of resoldering...the pad lifted and ended up being stuck to the cable :frowning2:

See pics -

Is this repairable at all? Whilst I'd like to blame the higher temps needed in lead-free solder world (UK)...it probably half is my dodgy soldering skills :/

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 3
thats a tough one... is there any bit of the pad left?  I'd try to reflow onto that, if its still contacting the coil wire lead.  If there's simply nothing left to solder onto, you are left with soldering onto the wire lead.  I have seen others do this but I personally have never had any luck with it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
thats a tough one... is there any bit of the pad left?  I'd try to reflow onto that, if its still contacting the coil wire lead.  If there's simply nothing left to solder onto, you are left with soldering onto the wire lead.  I have seen others do this but I personally have never had any luck with it.

yep...its tough. There is a lacquer coating on the lead. Very hard to solder to ... The lacquer must be removed before the solder can stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back