Help picking a good headphone
Mar 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hasenack

New Head-Fier
I've been wanting to buy a good headphone for some time. I'm looking for a closed one, with a max price of $300. I want one that sounds good but also look good. The ones i've been interested on are the ATH-M50, the ESW9a and the phiaton ms-400. I like the m50 because it has pretty good reviews and is way cheaper than the other ones. The ESW9a looks better though in my oppinion, so i'm in a big doubt. If you guys have other option, please post
Thanks

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Take a Look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-71-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-zx700-mdr-v6-added-03-07#post_5828504

Mostly cheaper options, but it's still worth looking at.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Pro 900, D2000, HFI780, DT770 and Bose QC15....

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Comparing the M50 and the ESW9a on the basis of visual appeal? Is that a fair comparison? Do you really think the ESW9a looks $300 better than the M50s?
Don't take me wrong, I'm all for having nice looking stuff. Not having listened to the ESW9a, but knowing what they cost, I think I'd be pretty critical of the sound they produce.  (Do they sound $300 better than the M50s I own?) From some reviews I've read, it doesn't sound like the performance quite justifies the cost... So, I might be inclined to chalk up the extra cost to being manufactured from exotic materials for aesthetics.)
For me, not worth it... It's like getting a gold-chromed Volkswagen Jetta with huge wheels or just a regular Volkswagen Jetta. Both get the job done with similar results, but the shiny one costs more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't let me talk you out of them... your money, your choice.
We'd like to hear what you end up with and why. And also how you think they sound.
What kind of music do you listen to?

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 8
Yea, its deffinitely not fair. I was looking mostly at the M-400 and the ESW9, but i saw the M-50 with really good reviews and way cheaper. I decided not to buy it because it doesnt look good enough for me.

I ended up buying the M-400. The ESW9 was about $220 at amazon, but i've been reading stuff about it and people say there's a lot of fake ones, so I was afraid of that. The Ms-400 have pretty good reviews and i think it looks great also. It will probably arrive on the 18th, when it arrives I will post here what i think about them.

I listen mainly classic rock and indie rock, usually from an ipod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back