Help on a new amplifier purchase
Jul 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

whubbard

New Head-Fier

So I'm looking to get a new amplifier for about $300 to $500.

I'm a fan of tubes and while I like clear playback I'm okay with a little extra warmth added to the music. However, tubes are definitely not a 'necessity' of the new amp.

I'm thinking of the

Grado RA1

WooAudio 3

Creek Audio OBH-21 (Maybe SE)

Musical Fidelity X-CAN V8P

Thoughts?

Also I would love to be able to just feed a source right into these although I can get another gain stage if necessary.

I'm going to pair this amp with a new set of headphones. Most likely the Grado RS2i or RS1i.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504729/help-on-a-new-headphone-purchase

Thanks,

West

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 9
Although it is "supposed" to have some nice synergy with some of the Grado Cans, you might want to stay away from the Grado RA1. 
It is notorious for being very over priced, considering the actual components that are in it.  If you are open to DIY, check out the ForSale forum for a SOHA II or CTH Hybrid.  They are both very capable amps.. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm VERY open to DIY. Basically my entire home stereo is DIY.
Maybe I should change this up. If I'm willing to spend $400 on a DIY amp what would you recommend?
I will research the SOHA II and CTH Hybrid.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 9
That's a cool looking amp. I think I'll build the MOSFET Diamond Buffer version.
Only other amp I hear really good things about is the β22 from AMB, but I'm not sure I want a task that big right now.
I'm building a turn table which takes a significant amount of time, so the Millet Max seems simple enough.

I'm pretty happy with where I'm going on my whole headphone setup. Here's my list:
Build Mini^3 amplifier.
Build a Millet Max MOSFET DB amplifier.
Audition the Grado RS1i and RS2i and decide.

Once that's done I'll make a final decision on the P-51 Mustang amp if I really still want it.

Great!

-West

EDIT: Boy did I give the shipping companies some money today. 2 orders from mouser ($8 down the drain), 2 orders from digikey ($8 down the drain), and two orders from AMB ($6 down the drain). For $22 I could have bought a new LP. 
angry_face.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Not sure if you've already gone down the path of ordering the Millett Max or not. If you haven't
you should seriously read up on the SOHA II and the CTH as well.  There seem to be two hybrid camps in DIY, Millet and Cavalli (the SOHA II and CTH are his most current DIY designs). The CTH can be built for around $200, the SOHA II for a bit more, maybe $250 to $300.  Some consider the SOHA II to be a more capable/refined amp than the CTH (I've only built/heard the CTH, and I like it a lot, so I can't give an opinion on the SOHA II), but the CTH has a couple of advantages over the SOHA II in it's versatility as far as which tube it can use(Check out the CTH Tube and Tweak Thread), as well as the fact that you only need one tube. Tube rolling can be a curse in itself, since you are always buying more tubes to try.. (Check out cfcubed's collection on the tube thread). 

Irregardless of which DIY amp you build, you are going to get great bang for your buck...

Oh, and remember, this is just the start.. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 9
You definitely don't want to pair low impedance cans with the Woo 3.  The Woo 3 is an OTL, so it works best with high impedance cans.  If you are set on some particular low impedance cans, and want to go the tube route, look for tube amps that are transformer coupled.  They do much better with low impedance cans.

Quote:

I'm thinking of the

WooAudio 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back