Help newbie drive stick shift!
Jul 30, 2004 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
blink.gif

oh my............ just got back from the scariest experience i've had in so many years! i just bought a new car, with stick. my friend "taught" me on his WRX for about 20min yesterday. then today i practiced for another 1/2 hour before deciding to brave the journey to my friend's place, about 15miles of local roads away. .................man, i had the windows down, and it's 60degrees outside, and i was so frickin hot cause i was concentrating so hard. my legs hurt and my whole body ached from the strain!!!

i guess i did okay... i dunno. stalled 2x and got honked at only once, which i suppose is okay, right? RIGHT? ha ha.

okay....... so, i really need some tips now.

my biggest problem is the start of course. i just can't seem to launch myself at a decent speed. if i drop the clutch SUPER slowly, then i can get moving okay... but you know, everyone's wondering why this car's not moving when the light turns green! but when i try to drop the clutch faster, then i get REALLY rought start or i stall. i just can't seem to get that feel right.

of course, once i get moving, then it's all good, shifting's a breeze then.

1. so, any pointers for newbie launches???

2. also, i was wondering, what's your recommended procedure when parking? i've heard different things... like i think my manual mentioned to park on reverse, and my friend says on first. so, i dunno.

3. if i keep stalling or starting rough, is this gonna damage my car?

thanks guys.... i REALLY need help!!!! heh he.

orpheus

Jul 30, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 33
My first car was a stick, second hand from my older brother, a Datsun 610.
Congrats on the car.
My only advice is to practice. Your all hot and bothered as your tensing up and some what stressed. This will all pass after a week or two. With SoCals traffic, you should get alot of practice with starting.

The only issue I can think of parking in gear (1st or rev.) is if someone hits your parked car, could cause damage to the gears. Very unlikely I'm sure.

Good luck

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus

2. also, i was wondering, what's your recommended procedure when parking? i've heard different things... like i think my manual mentioned to park on reverse, and my friend says on first. so, i dunno.

1. Give it enough gas and focus on smooth clutching. It's all in the the clutch foot.

2. When I drove stick I always parked in first with the e-brake on. Don't know why really, just the way I was taught I guess.

3. I don't think it'll hurt your car. Not entirely sure though.

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 33
1. Just takes practice. First relax! It's a new car, so you aren't going to be breaking anything anytime soon (we hope
evil_smiley.gif
). When you first get the car in motion start slow, but apply steadily increasing pressure, don't just floor it. It shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds to get up to second gear.

2. Doesn't really matter. I usually just left it in neutral with the E-brake on. If it was uphill I parked in first, and downhill I parked in reverse (opposite of the grade).

3. You might get more flakes in your transmission fluid from grinding gears but that might just mean you have to change it sooner than the usual 50k(?). At worst you might need to change your clutch (relatively unexpensive I'm told but this is in car repair scale). I might have gotten some of the confused though (sorry). Either way, it isn't a serious concern for a new car, it should handle the few grinds and stalls it takes to learn.

One of the things I liked about driving a manual is that I feel a lot more active in the process of driving. With an automatic its way too easy to just zone out and drive out of habit and wait for the sensory cues to kick in with red flags to avoid accidents or just to tell me when someone is being an moron. The only form of active driving I do now is to slip into neutral while braking/coasting. Every once in a while, I catch myself looking for the clutch with my foot.

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
blink.gif

thanks guys.... i REALLY need help!!!! heh he.

orpheus

Having just gone through this very stage myself...I think I can help you out.
wink.gif
(Although I unfortunately no longer own the car...it was just too painful on my hips. Ended up having to get raped and trade it in for something else...
frown.gif
)

1. The first thing you need to do is just practice learning where your clutch engages. You can do this right in the comfort of your own driveway. Just practice reversing and going back into your driveway...both will teach you about launching, and ultimately, where your clutch's engagement point is. Finding the engagement point quickly is the key to getting quick launches. I strongly recommend you not wear shoes when driving manual if at all possible. Feeling the clutch's engagement point is MUCH, MUCH easier when it's just your bare foot or just socks.

Simply practice creeping the car using the clutch...you'll be needing this when in bumper to bumper traffic, and when doing very minute parking adjustments. Keep the car in first, don't hit the gas at all, and slowly bring the clutch up until the car moves forward. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Likewise try it in reverse. When reversing, unless your driveway is long, do NOT fully release the clutch while giving it gas. Otherwise you will end up reversing at like 30mph.

Actually getting the car to go smoothly is completely based on clutch release/accelerator pressure balance. And this is where it ended up just hurting too much for me. To shift smoothly, you sometimes have to sloooooowly release the clutch, and/or sloooooowly increase the gas. This was just too much tension for my right leg, which I guess is too used mashing an automatic's gas pedal. I was literally limping out of my car everytime I drove it. Anyways, the faster you gas, the faster you can release the clutch. Steadily increase the gas while steadily releasing the clutch in a smooth motion.

2. Conventional wisdom seems to favor parking in first, with the e-brake on. I personally parked it in neutral with the e-brake on. Reason being, I once accidentally had the car in second gear while I was practicing shifting through the gears with the car off. Next time I started the car, I forgot that I was in gear...and the moment I released the clutch, the car lept forward. Luckily the car stalled immediately to a dead stop...else my house would've had one wall crashed in.
eek.gif

3. If this is your first manual ever, you might at worse end up having to replace the clutch sooner from having to learn on it, which usually means more clutch slipping then usual. Other then that...if anything else breaks, it wasn't worth buying in the first place.

4. How's your downshifting been? Ready to learn how to rev match?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Try to "have fun" with the car. Practice with it late at night. Find empty parking lots and practice launching, then hit long stretches with turns to practice upshifting and downshifting, and finally, hit some hills. At first it is a royal PITA. Starting up on hills especially can give you a heart attack if you don't know what you're doing. I personally never got over that feeling and never felt it was fun at all, and just gave up on manual. Doubt I'd ever get another one again, unless it were clutchless.

By the way...what car did you get?
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteeleBlayde
I've read this in several car mags but what does it mean exactly?

Google for double-clutching, you should find some decent explanations. Basically, you want to clutch, and bring car out of gear, blip the gas to bring the rpms to where they will be at the speed you are traveling for the gear you are shifting down to. Once the rpms are high enough quickly depress the clutch again and engage the lower gear. If you do this right you should be able to come off the clutch almost immediately without the car jolting. Once you've perfected this, you can learn to heel-toe, which will allow you to brake while downshifting smoothly.

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1

1. I strongly recommend you not wear shoes when driving manual if at all possible. Feeling the clutch's engagement point is MUCH, MUCH easier when it's just your bare foot or just socks.

thats quite unpractical. the feel will be completely different without shoes than with shoes. if you drive with shoes why practice without?

Quote:

Simply practice creeping the car using the clutch...you'll be needing this when in bumper to bumper traffic, and when doing very minute parking adjustments. Keep the car in first, don't hit the gas at all, and slowly bring the clutch up until the car moves forward. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Likewise try it in reverse. When reversing, unless your driveway is long, do NOT fully release the clutch while giving it gas. Otherwise you will end up reversing at like 30mph.

engaging the clutch at idle is not a good idea...your engine barely produce any torque. as long as you have legs and put a little thought into it u can modulate the pedals. fully releasing the clutch isnt going to instantaneously accelerate a car from 0 to 30mph.

Quote:

To shift smoothly, you sometimes have to sloooooowly release the clutch, and/or sloooooowly increase the gas.

its more a matter of timing of the engagement rather than duration of engagement

Quote:

2. Conventional wisdom seems to favor parking in first, with the e-brake on. I personally parked it in neutral with the e-brake on. Reason being, I once accidentally had the car in second gear while I was practicing shifting through the gears with the car off. Next time I started the car, I forgot that I was in gear...and the moment I released the clutch, the car lept forward. Luckily the car stalled immediately to a dead stop...else my house would've had one wall crashed in.
eek.gif

unless you have a 8 liter v8 your car wont crash into a garage after popping the clutch (with no gas input). itll just lurch and stall. parking in gear is good practice

driving a manual isnt rocket science. there are 2 pedals and a gear shift stick...how difficult can it be? go to a parking lot and just try to get moving from a stop. it should take no more than a few days to learn and will become 2nd nature. hell, if my sisters can do it.....

Jul 30, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteeleBlayde
I've read this in several car mags but what does it mean exactly?

simply anticipating the new engine speed (if engaged in intended gear) and manually revving the motor/flywheel to that speed before you engage the clutch.

if the clutch plate and flywheel are spinning at the same rate when you engage them..they'll incur less wear

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 33
Here's a method:
1. Let out clutch until the start of the friction point - engine starts to lag, car vibrates just a little. Try to get a feel for where this point is.
2. Apply some gas while releasing clutch. Use clutch, rather than gas, to control the takeoff.
3. Once you match revs (initial surge of acceleration is gone, revs drop then lock to speed), come off the clutch.

Over the summer, I've been driving my parents' cars. One is a 94 Civic, the other a 00 Accord. The Accord is easy to start moving - I can keep it under 1500 rpm until my foot is off the clutch. The Civic I haven't been able to move smoothly unless I rev it to 2000+.

No reason to take off your shoes. The feel of the clutch is more than the ball of your foot.

Practice, and be patient. It takes time to get a feel for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back