Help needed!
Jun 22, 2010 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kausik93

New Head-Fier
Hey ppl,
This is a continuation from my previous thread and an update too. I have to choose a headphone under these conditions:
1) soft ear buds like HD 418 or 438
2) decent if not good sound quality. I listen to hip-hop/pop/blues/rock
3) price range should be within US $ 140 or S $ 200
4) preferably with a nice case to keep it in as separate ones cost a bomb
I know these are ALOT of conditions but I would really appreciate your help. In your previous thread I have heard people suggest some headphones but it would be nice if you could give me some comparisons or why that headphone would be good? The following are some models that I have picked out from suggestions and websites. But do include other options. Thanks.

Audio Technica ATH-A700
Audio Technica ATH-A500
Audio Technica ATH-AD500
Beyer DT440
Beyer DT 770
Sennheiser HD 418
Sennheiser HD 438
Sennheiser HD 515
Sennheiser HD 555

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 11
You've listed so many there..Do you need open or closed cans?

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 11
I can only comment on the ones I've had so that's only the HD555s; they do not come with a carrying bag and I doubt many in this price range would. But they are by far one of the most comfortable cans to have :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 11
Out of all of those I'd go with the Beyer DT440.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry I listed too many ;p I just saw many of these headphones that might seem to be what I want so I listed them but specifically I am looking for one of the Beyers or the Senn 5xx or AD700 (many people recommended it). And can someone explain what do u mean by open and close cans? Sorry im new to headphones?

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry I listed too many ;p I just saw many of these headphones that might seem to be what I want so I listed them but specifically I am looking for one of the Beyers or the Senn 5xx or AD700 (many people recommended it). And can someone explain what do u mean by open and close cans? Sorry im new to headphones?

Open=Sound leaks out, bigger soundstage. Typically (not always) less bass
Closed=Sound doesn't leak out, smaller soundstage, Typically (not always) more bass

The AD700 won't do so hot with hip hop ime. I've only tried the A500, DT770, and AD700 from your list, and the DT770 fulfill all your needs, but I didn't try them with blues.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 11
Hey, thanks for the reply. Now im only looking at AD 700, Senn HD 555, DT 770 (if i can find one under my budget but I doubt so) and AD 500 (my friend says the increase in price is not worth the sound quality)
So if u all have any of these please tell me how they feel and sound?
Thanks in advance

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 11
Don't look at the DT770s, there are two main versions, the premium and the Pro line. In the premium line, the only version worth getting is the 600ohm, which means you need a beefy desktop amplifier to match. In the Pro line, the 80ohm version also likes an amp but is bass heavy with a recessed midrange and a treble some people despise. Bottom line, for your needs, don't get any. 

I would recommend you look into the Alessandro MS-1, which is essentially a more neutral Grado SR-125. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back