Help needed purchasing a high end surround sound audio system
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CeremonyGuy

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum and have not much understanding about sound systems or what to buy, a typical consumer. I was originally shopping around and stumbled upon the range of BOSE Lifestyle systems that they have on sale, specifically the 535. After reading a few of the threads on the overall quality and bang for the buck that Bose offers, i am very grateful that i found this website! 

So im looking for a surround sound system and i have roughly $3000 to spend. Here are my specs:

*The room size this will be placed in is about 2.7m by 3.7m by 2.8m high.
*A 5.1 setup will probably do, but if anybody thinks 7.1 is necessary than i am interested in hearing the feedback for that also.
*I am interested in total sound immersion, i wanna feel like the music is cutting through my body. This is key, i wanna feel like i am one with the music, like i am merged with it. :)
*I am interested in high-end gear and wanna know what i can get for the price above, i can go higher a little or lower if i can find the right gear that will do the job
*I will be mostly listening to music, but i also want this setup to be good for movies.
*Clarity of music and base is really important, i am interested in crystal clarity and deep but clean bass, if that makes sense.
*Ease of use is really important to me, which is what attracted me to the BOSE system, it looked like a plug and play style system that required no learning or screwing around, but im willing to compromise on this also if the audio is top notch. 

I am a major newbie when it comes to audio systems, have never purchased anything other than a portable logitech speaker system. Since my interest has grown i have learned a little bit about sennheiser and AKG but from what ive seen i dont think they do the kind of system that im after. But my growing interest in good quality sound has led me here, so i am hoping that somebody with more experience can guide me to a surround sound system that is within my requirements and price range. 

Thank you in advance for all the help, very grateful for this community of knowledgable sound folk! :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 4
First, for a $3K HT setup, I recommend reading over in the AVS speaker forum. They talk about surround setups all day long. You might also want to look at this Speaker FAQ.

Bose systems will not compare to a good setup at the same price. They are lower in SQ and overall performance. Tiny cube speakers CANNOT compare to full size bookshelf/monitors, and the Bose bass module is a poor subwoofer in comparison to what you can get. So you pay for that convenience. Best thing to do if you want a good surround setup is tell yourself you are going to have to learn more. It's worth it :)

For a surround sound setup with good bass, I recommend getting larger bookshelf/monitors and a great sub over spending money on tower speakers. A good sub will handle all your bass needs. For great bass from a sub, look at SVS Audio. They have international vendors.

7.1 will not be better than 5.1 unless you can place the speakers properly. Given your small room, 5.1 should be just fine.

Where do you live? Recommendations do depend on what is available to you.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 4
First, for a $3K HT setup, I recommend reading over in the AVS speaker forum. They talk about surround setups all day long. You might also want to look at this Speaker FAQ.

Bose systems will not compare to a good setup at the same price. They are lower in SQ and overall performance. Tiny cube speakers CANNOT compare to full size bookshelf/monitors, and the Bose bass module is a poor subwoofer in comparison to what you can get. So you pay for that convenience. Best thing to do if you want a good surround setup is tell yourself you are going to have to learn more. It's worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

For a surround sound setup with good bass, I recommend getting larger bookshelf/monitors and a great sub over spending money on tower speakers. A good sub will handle all your bass needs. For great bass from a sub, look at SVS Audio. They have international vendors.

7.1 will not be better than 5.1 unless you can place the speakers properly. Given your small room, 5.1 should be just fine.

Where do you live? Recommendations do depend on what is available to you.

Thanks for your help. I am not going the BOSE direction thankfully, and i will try the other forums you suggested. I am looking at getting the HT system that KEF has for sale, i think its called the T305, but im just not sure, if its more beneficial and better quality, to bulid your own HT setup, or its better to just buy a ready made package. Dont have much experience in audio at all, but im looking to learn, its just a little difficult when i have no idea what im doing..lol

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 4
The KEF T305 are lifestyle speakers. I think you are probably paying a premium for their flat looks. More traditional speakers would likely give you a better value, such as the Kef Q series. Larger drivers are also better with bookshelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back