Help narrowing down DAP decision
Apr 20, 2007 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I'm going to pick up a DAP and have been trying to narrow things down.

So far what I'm looking at:
iPod Video 30GB
Zune
Trekstor Vibez 12GB
Zen Vision M (the one thats similar to the iPod)
iRiver Clix

I'm hoping to keep it right around $200 (give or take $30 or so). I plan on using some KSC-75s for cost and portability sake (selling my blu-takked A900s unfortunately). I'll probably upgrade those at some point (so if a certain player has good synergy with certain 'phones maybe add that). I don't plan on getting an amp and likely won't ever really use anything but low impedence cans (someday I'll get an iMod->Amp->really nice headphone setup, but it'll be later rather than sooner).

Storage size isn't a huge deal, but the extra space would be nice (I think I might have 12GB worth in FLAC). An FM tuner is a plus but not required (on the iPod I like the transmitters for when I travel home or other places). I'm not a fan of iTunes/Zune/crappy software but I can probably deal with it if its good otherwise. Video isn't a big issue, but the Zune, iPod, and Vision M capacity I would probably put some TV shows and things like that. Good sound quality is definitely appreciated and I know enough to know that it would be (correct me if I'm wrong) Vibez>Zune>Zen>iPod with the Clix being somewhere in there. Lastly battery life isn't a huge issue, but again the longer the better (that's what she said
biggrin.gif
).

So, let me know if I missed any. I know that most of them fit my needs reasonably well. I also appreciate just general opinion/feedback. The Vibez is tempting with people raving about sound quality, but in a way I would like extra space and an FM tuner. I like the Zune's screen and FM tuner and overall feel (used a display model in a store) but not so keen on the battery life, format support, and software. The Clix seems nice but its small capacity is probably too low and I kinda like having physical buttons for navigation (at least for music, we'll talk after the video iPod and others).

Sorry for the long post (and probably asking the same question that's been asked a million times already) and thanks for the help.

Oh, and no need to worry about warning me, I've been a lurker and have actually been trying to spread the good word based on what I've learned here and experienced for myself.

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 13
I haven't seen a vibez vs. zune sound quality comparison (I'd still be curious though, even though I have a gigabeat f40 on the way). Based on zune reports on here, I wouldn't be surprised if the zune equalled or even bettered the vibez (probably a matter of personal taste).

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 13
Get the Zen Vision M or the Zune.
Zen VM
- Great quality color screen better than Zune
- FM radio with recording
- support for more music and videos format
- INEXPENSIVE

Zune
- Larger color screen. Good quality. Nice for AA
- FM radio with RDS (no recording
frown.gif
)
- Fairly inexpensive if you look around
- Sold in pepto-pink color aka baby pink
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 13
I own all 3! (not the vibez)

I agree with Ricardo to some extent. Both the Zune and the Zen sound better than the iPOd un-ampped. But when you start modding the ipod; you get good results quick! If you want something without any of the extras, sound quality of course a big one; then the zune tops the zen. But again features wise, the zen tops the zune. Im am sure that people are going to hack the zune, so features may not be an issuse in a couple of months!
Thats my $.02

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 13
I am not sure sure people are going to hack the zune any time soon. It uses the same setup as the gigabeat S - a very secure architecture. From the posts that i've read on rockbox about their gigabeat S implementation, things are going slowly. So i wouldn't lean on the fact that the zune will be hacked soon - you very well could be running the stock firmware for many years to come. It's the main thing that's holding me back, actually.

Unless you got some information on hacking the zune that i'm not aware of?

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by escher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure sure people are going to hack the zune any time soon. It uses the same setup as the gigabeat S - a very secure architecture. From the posts that i've read on rockbox about their gigabeat S implementation, things are going slowly. So i wouldn't lean on the fact that the zune will be hacked soon - you very well could be running the stock firmware for many years to come. It's the main thing that's holding me back, actually.

what will the battery life on that zune be "many years" from now? that's one thing that held me off from the zune.

don't forget the X5L which is still available. 35 hrs battery life, FM, 30 GB, good sound quality.

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by escher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol, maybe...but I doubt it. How many Micr$oft products are there that haven't been hacked??
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 13
Oh, yeah forgot about the X5. I'll add that and probably drop looking at the Clix.

The Zune has some stuff I like about it that would be good for hacking (big size should allow for large battery and internal mods like the iMod maybe). I wonder if the impending release of the next gen Zunes will make people look at them more (although it is supposed to be much more difficult to open up it would seem).

Actually I'll probably just be looking at the X5L, Zen, and Zune. Possible still think about the iPod.

What software does the Zen use?

The X5 does a lot that I like (FLAC, battery life, FM) but I'm not liking the price, shape, and small screen. Looks like its not great for managing music (I'm guessing this is more a software issue on the computer side).

Which one of these can be rockboxed. I know the iPod can. What about the Zen and X5?

Oh, and just realized it was the D2 not the Clix that I was looking at.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 13
The X5 can be rockboxed, but not the Zen. The Zen uses creatives software, or if you want you can even drag and drop.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 13
Ok, narrowed it down to these 3, now just need to figure out which one. I'll be going on a vacation of sorts in about a month that will likely involve a good deal of road travel, so video has become more important.

The 40GB Gigabeat (rockbox it). Battery life will be decent but not great, especially with playing video (although it does seem like the playback quality should be good on video). It's also lacking FM tuning (which I'd really like to have FM transmitting), but it makes up for it in cost.

Cowon X5L. Does everything I like on the audio side (FLAC, FM, battery life, sound quality), but is pretty lacking on the video side. I suppose I could look into audio books. Price is a little high for no video, but then again the video playback on the others of this size (iPod, Zune, Zen) isn't the greatest either (battery life). I would probably rockbox and thus would end up with say 15-20 hours of FLAC playback.

Cowon A2. Does everything that I want on the audio side, and I've read several people reporting the quality is even a notch above the X5L (although I don't think that took into effect rockbox). Video is very good, especially battery life. Sounds like its not the easiest as far as use goes though. And the price is really actually out of my range. For a bit more I'd actually consider the 80GB Archos one as it seems to have a better screen, but its battery life is about half of the A2, and the audio capabilities are subpar. I'd definitely like to get this one, but I'll probably wait on a real PMP until playback quality, capability, and battery life gets much better.

Hmm, now just have to decide which one. In a way the Gigabeat seems the best for my purpose, especially considering the price, but I'm a little iffy. I'd hate to get it and find out it can only make it through one movie and then the battery runs out.

I've decided to get both the JVC marhmallows and the KSC-75s since both are a decent price and seem to be fairly popular on here.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 13
The two things I don't like about my Zune is that there is no line-out, and the battery life frankly, sucks. But, before, my Ipod's click wheel stopped working and nothing could fix it, but it does have a line out, it's thinner too. I like that the zune navigation is tactile, and when scrolling through music, it does not slow down, like many ipod's that I have used. So overall, I got a Zune because it sounded good unamped and I'd be using it portably most of the time. But, I'm constantly rethinking my decisions; one day I'll be sad that I purchased a Zune, other days, not so much. Sorry, this probably does not help you at all.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back