HELP: Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk2 & Which Alternative PSU In UK/EU ?
Mar 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

archy121

1000+ Head-Fier

I recently bought the V-DAC Mk2 to give new life to my old Musical Fidelity A3 amplifier that is without any digital inputs.

Hopefully the DAC will prove good enough to permanently replace the CD player with a streaming media server holding FLAC's.  I have not had the chance to hook the A3 to the DAC as it is packed away for now but using it with a laptop & Aego M2.1 active speakers have given favorable initial impressions.

In order to improve the DAC's performance I have decided to buy a semi decent USB cable & swap the power supply for a quality one (Linear with Toroidal Transformer preferred).

I have a budget of £100 max for a replacement power supply but rather limit it to £50 if possible as I already have t[size=x-small]he QED MDH6 mains conditioner for filtering and surge protection[/size]. This is where i need help in finding a good PSU.

Obvious option is to buy the matching Musical Fidelity V-PSU Mk1 (not aware of differences to Mk2 other than enclosure & £50 more). I'm not keen on the spending £100+ on this as judging by its size & the fact that it can power 3 devices makes me think maybe better can be had at the same price or even cheaper. For instance i came across Russ Andrews V-DAC PSU (V-DACPak) at the same price as V-PSU which i think would be the better choice. It was selling at almost half price some while back :\

I have considered cheaper alternatives like the Pyramid PSU in the US but not really keen on its industrial look in the living room. I think I would still consider it if performance was better than the V-PSU & readily available in UK at a similar price.

Did anyone compare the V-PSU against the Pyramid ? Also doesn't the Pyramid PSU emit noise ?

Has anyone tried the DC1 Power Supply ? It has been offered to me for £115 delivered but i don't know much about it.

I also came across Little Pinkie PSU which sounds really impressive but that's going over my budget - shame.

I have also been searching fleabay for any yesterdays classic (Naim,Cyruss,Arcam etc) linear 12V PSU's that can be adapted to work with V-DAC. No luck so far.

I did come across ORDO PSU (12V 7A Linear Toroidal) on flebay but not sure if its value holds after £20 delivery. Anyone tried this out ?

Is there a budget PSU alternative in the UK I have overlooked ? Or  one that is substantially good for its price point ? Please share 

beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 2
I mention this to a friend the other day and he laughed.
Said I should just use a power supply used for CCTV cameras as this is a regulated power supply and to save my money.
And as they retail around £25, I`ll pick one up this week and see if it makes a differance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back