Help me with your Opinion: ibasso D1 with Grado Sr325i?
Oct 7, 2007 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just got my SR325i and I am really loving it. They sound good even straight out of my zune! But I do notice that when I crank up the volume the high will become sibilant. SO,.. after doing some research I came to the conclusion that SR325i really need a tube amp to sound its best. But I also use my lab top as a source so portability is somewhat important to me. Tube amp will be too huge and painful to take around and bring it to a coffee shop. So,.. after many fantastic reviews here I am considering also gettin an ibasso D1 for my lab top.

I know that the synergy between amps and headphones is very important. My goal is to get a warmer amp/dac combo for my lab top so that I can crank up the 325i a bit more without the high being too fatiguing. I personally don't find the SR325i that bad with highs it's just that I think it would be perfect if I can tone down the high a bit with a good amp. Anyone familiar with the SR325i and also happen to have an Ibasso D1 care to help me out and comment on this combo?

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 11
Um, aren't the SR325is supposed to be sibiliant at high volumes?

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 11
YES, you are right Sir. That is the exact reason why I need some amp guru's professional opinion on what amp I should consider for my 325i. Again,.. I read that tube amp really helps. Which is gonna be great for my home setup. So can anyone recommend a good tube amp to go with the 325i and a good amp for a portable set up? It does not have to be an amp/dac combo. Although I think I would prefer that. Thanx!

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES, you are right Sir. That is the exact reason why I need some amp guru's professional opinion on what amp I should consider for my 325i. Again,.. I read that tube amp really helps. Which is gonna be great for my home setup. So can anyone recommend a good tube amp to go with the 325i and a good amp for a portable set up? It does not have to be an amp/dac combo. Although I think I would prefer that. Thanx!

How are you on the idea of op amp rolling? I think the stock D1 may not be the best with Grado because it is a little harsh on the high end. But I bet that with some of the alternative op amps that people are talking about it would be good.

If you don't like the idea of op amp rolling I'd wait to see what iBasso has in store for later - they are talking about offering an upgraded D! using with the results of some of the testing with the different op amps people here have tried.

Another option is the Leckerton UHA-3. It has the advantage of a lower cost and smaller package than the D1. I haven't heard it but it is getting good reviews. Supposedly it has a 'warm' sound. That sounds like it might complement the Grados. I'd think about that one - also it has a 30 day money-back so you might be able to try it and return it if you don't iike it.

The other option is the Corda Move - that one has a good amp but not so good DAC - it might not be a good fit for use with a laptop compared to the D1 or UHA-3.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 11
I just finished comparing all three and IMO the iBasso D1 is the best sounding of the three. I did some op-amp rolling which trully took the iBasso D1 to a whole new level. I am now waiting for some additional op-amps to further tune the sound out of the D1.

You may want to try sending HiFlight or Jamato8 a PM for more information. Good luck.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanx for the info. I am sorry that I don't really know what op-amp rolling is about? Actually,... if anyone could be so nice to answer this newbie question. As for the amp choice goes,.. I am leaning towards gettin a Xin Reference instead... hope I will get it sometime in 2008. I figured with Xin reference should sound good with a good DAC out of my notebook right?

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 11
The "Solid Tube" LTC6241HV + LMH6643 buffers delivers a tube-like SQ that has very smooth highs and very nice soundstage.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "Solid Tube" LTC6241HV + LMH6643 buffers delivers a tube-like SQ that has very smooth highs and very nice soundstage.

Could you please give more info about "Solid Tube" + buffers, I googled it but got references to AKG mics.

I beleive you are refrring to a type of amp. Is it one you are building?

regards,

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you please give more info about "Solid Tube" + buffers, I googled it but got references to AKG mics.

I beleive you are refrring to a type of amp. Is it one you are building?

regards,

Please PM me for information.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Alrite... so,.. thanx for all your advices. Since I really don't know anything about Op amp rolling. I think I can do without any amp for a while so,.. I will just order a Xin Ref.now and wait till it get here sometime next year. But what DAC would you guys recommend for my notebook? Thanx.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, aren't the SR325is supposed to be sibiliant at high volumes?

The SR325i's have tremendous treble energy but are not sibiliant. If anything they are clear as a bell up top. The great thing about the D1 is opamp sockets. You can always find some warm opamps to balance out the SR325i's. I have used the D1 with SR225s and RS2s with stock opamps. I rather like the soundstage of the D1 with Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back