Help Me Spend $300
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kata2012

New Head-Fier
Last month I was called back to the office for 3 days a week, and 2 days working remotely, and am looking for a competent dac and amp to leave at the office. So far I have been lugging my topping e30/l30 combo (version 1 of each with the "fixed' l30) back and forth and would like to get something to keep at each location. I know my budget isn't huge, but I feel there is a lot of options for a decent system.

My normal setup is streaming Qobuz from my Galaxy s22 via USB Audio Player Pro or my MacBook Pro at work. When at home I use Qobuz or foobar from my PC via USB. to the topping e30/l30.

From the e30/l30 stack use one of the following for listening:
Drop+Hifiman 5xx
Moondrop Kato
Hifiman He-R9

Here are the options I'm considering:
OPTION 1 & 2
xduoo xa-10 - $230 on drop.com
smsl m500 mkii - $225 on drop.com​
Use the extra cash to get a balanced cable for the 5xx​

OPTION 3
Hifiman EF400 - $300 open box/refurb on hifiman​

OPTION 4
Get a dongle like the Moondrop Dawn Pro for the office and portability, or maybe even the moondrop dsp cable
Get a balanced cable if I go with the Dawn Pro
Have extra money to put towards the Hifiman Ananda Stealth​
OPTION 5 - Dig in the car for some extra cash
Hifiman Ananda Stealth - $350 on hifiman​
and suffer bringing the e30/l30 to work all the time​
I'd love to hear some additional thoughts as well as and info, positive or negative on the options I am looking at. I've done a ton of research and everything seems to be decent quality (hoping the open box hifiman ef400 would have been fixed from some of the issues people have had with it). Otherwise, probably leaning toward the smsl m500 mkii.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 5
The Tanchjim Space is as good as most stacks and can power many headphones. It measures well and after hearing one, I wouldn't get other USB dongles. The Sound blaster X1 was nice, but auto detects ohm rating and struggles with low ohm stuff that needs current.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 5
The Tanchjim Space is as good as most stacks and can power many headphones. It measures well and after hearing one, I wouldn't get other USB dongles. The Sound blaster X1 was nice, but auto detects ohm rating and struggles with low ohm stuff that needs current.
Thanks, I haven't head of the Tanchjim Space and i haven't been following the dongle market much, but I will check it out.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 5
I see you have both closed and open back options... no concern about sound leakage in the office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back