Help Me Spend 1000.00 on Headphones!
Apr 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Monsterzero

Headphoneus Supremus
Im going through a turnover in my collection...out are my Beyer T1s,incoming are HE-500s

Im looking to get something with really nice midrange,and some quick punchy bass,prefer open backs.

Im not opposed to buying used.

Help me spend my 1k

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Mm I think you are on good way HiFiMAN HE560 or HE500 is good choice from new headphones. Also good choice Audeze LCD2 which have inviting midrange and bass. Both manufactures have planar tonality but HiFiMAN sounds more open lighter than Audeze. So I would also consider sound character of your system, for example lighter character could fit more to Audeze. I think HE560 is better headphone but I would buy LCD2 :D
Another choices from second hand HE6, Ether, LCDX. According to your request you can not go wrong with planars, it is the most versatile technology in my opinon..

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 7
I thought about the LCD 2.2,but there are a couple threads essentially debating if they and HE-500 are redundant. Thoughts?

And if so,would a HE-6 be redundant to HE-500?

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 7
I like HE560 more than HE500 due to better pads and it is overal beter build headphone and sound is better in my opinion too. According to your system maybe HE560 could be best option for you.
HE6 I did not have chance try it, I believe with adequate amp it will be super and probably better headphone but do you want hungry headphone?
Planars have nice mids and bass. LCD2 and their revisions it does not matter take the latest. If you can try both LCD2 and HE560 and then decide.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 7
  I like HE560 more than HE500 due to better pads and it is overal beter build headphone and sound is better in my opinion too. According to your system maybe HE560 could be best option for you.
HE6 I did not have chance try it, I believe with adequate amp it will be super and probably better headphone but do you want hungry headphone?
Planars have nice mids and bass. LCD2 and their revisions it does not matter take the latest. If you can try both LCD2 and HE560 and then decide.

I thiink its pretty much a given that to drive the HE-6 you need to use speaker taps...I have a vintage Sansui that is a conservative 80wpc...lovely 70s warm sound signature.

I just dont want to spend cash on something that is going to do what I already have slightly better...I'd rather have a totally different sound signature within my mids/lows emphasis parameters

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 7
I had also AD2000 and Alessandro MS PRO, T1 not. Planars is different in purity background (it is more black), mids, bass and tonally is more nature and compact in my opinion so yes it is different sound signature. Is it higher price tag justified? "For me yes" it is more adult sound. But I can also say AD2000 and MS PRO have their own unique qualities.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 7
So are you suggesting HE-6,or LCD 2.2?

Have you heard The Dharma1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back