Help me pick a pair of headphones
Dec 4, 2008 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hans030390

1000+ Head-Fier
I know, it's been covered. I'm looking for the best pair of headphones to be had for under $100 (preferably closer to $75 and under). However, this can be used or new, where as most threads only cover prices of new headphones (I think).

I mainly listen to metal (Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, In Flames, Children of Bodom, etc etc). I want something that is as accurate as possible, but not so flat that it's uninteresting to listen to (I like a decent amount of accurate bass and clean treble). So, not too laid back, but also not too "punchy". I mean, it's no fun listening to laid back metal (unless you're talking about Opeth doing a soft song), but sometimes it's just fatiguing/annoying to listen to something too punchy (highs too pronounced, not enough bass, etc...you know, it just hurts your ears). Good dynamics are also really important as well.

I also want something comfortable enough. I have a medium-large sized head. Usually, headphones, if uncomfortable, bother me most on top of my head and right around my ears (at least the ones that go over your ears). Also, some headphones tend to squeeze my head for some reason...I don't know why. But that sucks too.

However, I'm willing to compromise. Sound quality is more important, but if I can't wear the headphones, what's the point?

As for cancellation, they'll mostly be used in my room or when I'm riding as a passenger in a car. Once again, isolation/cancellation is great and all, but I'm really more concerned about sound quality here. I'm also not too concerned about others hearing what I'm listening too.

Anyway, I've found some options and wanted opinions. Right now I'm leaning towards the SR-60s, but I'm open to other opinions or completely new suggestions. Here is what I'm considering (prices could be new or used):

- Grado SR-60 (or SR-80 if found at a decent price)
- Beyerdynamic DT-235 ($47 on Amazon.com)
- Beyerdynamic DT-440 ($64 on Amazon)
- Beyerdynamic DT-770 ($75 USED on Amazon, may be gone before I could buy)
- Sennheiser HD-555 ($70-90 used/new on Amazon)
- Sennheiser HD-515 ($76 on Amazon)
- Audio Technica ATH-AD500 ($69 on Amazon)
- Sennheiser PX-100 as a cheap option

Thanks for any help/comments/opinions! New suggestions would be great too.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 13
You said you don't want bright, so that rules out the 2 grados right there.

Your best bet would probably be either the DT770, HD555, HD515, AD500, or PX-100.

I personally like the sennheiser house sound, so I would spring for the HD555 for 100$. Though, the AD500 will be roughly the same quality, just a different sound.

I would probably focus on these 2 headphones:
The HD555 for 100$, or the A500 (note, not AD500) for 110$.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, it's been covered. I'm looking for the best pair of headphones to be had for under $100 (preferably closer to $75 and under). However, this can be used or new, where as most threads only cover prices of new headphones (I think).

I mainly listen to metal (Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, In Flames, Children of Bodom, etc etc). I want something that is as accurate as possible, but not so flat that it's uninteresting to listen to (I like a decent amount of accurate bass and clean treble). So, not too laid back, but also not too "punchy". I mean, it's no fun listening to laid back metal (unless you're talking about Opeth doing a soft song), but sometimes it's just fatiguing/annoying to listen to something too punchy (highs too pronounced, not enough bass, etc...you know, it just hurts your ears). Good dynamics are also really important as well.

I also want something comfortable enough. I have a medium-large sized head. Usually, headphones, if uncomfortable, bother me most on top of my head and right around my ears (at least the ones that go over your ears). Also, some headphones tend to squeeze my head for some reason...I don't know why. But that sucks too.

However, I'm willing to compromise. Sound quality is more important, but if I can't wear the headphones, what's the point?

As for cancellation, they'll mostly be used in my room or when I'm riding as a passenger in a car. Once again, isolation/cancellation is great and all, but I'm really more concerned about sound quality here. I'm also not too concerned about others hearing what I'm listening too.

Anyway, I've found some options and wanted opinions. Right now I'm leaning towards the SR-60s, but I'm open to other opinions or completely new suggestions. Here is what I'm considering (prices could be new or used):

- Grado SR-60 (or SR-80 if found at a decent price)
- Beyerdynamic DT-235 ($47 on Amazon.com)
- Beyerdynamic DT-440 ($64 on Amazon)
- Beyerdynamic DT-770 ($75 USED on Amazon, may be gone before I could buy)
- Sennheiser HD-555 ($70-90 used/new on Amazon)
- Sennheiser HD-515 ($76 on Amazon)
- Audio Technica ATH-AD500 ($69 on Amazon)
- Sennheiser PX-100 as a cheap option

Thanks for any help/comments/opinions! New suggestions would be great too.

Have you tried using "open" headphones in a car, I would guess it would be easier to hear ones music with some "closed" headphones while in a moving vehicle.

Anyway, my Audio Technica ATH-AD500 are very comfortable to have on.
You'll like them.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said you don't want bright, so that rules out the 2 grados right there.

I never said I don't want bright, just as long as the mids/bass are there enough to not sound like it's just treble hitting my ear.

What I meant was similar to my tweeters that came with my component set for my car. They really overpowered the mid-woofers and were LOUD in general. They weren't smooth to listen to at all, and it just hurt your ears.

From what I've heard though, the Grado SR-60s are bright, but not to the point of hurting or being annoying like that. Plus, they apparently have good mids and decent bass, which is what I want

Plus, I've just heard they're great for rock, so I assumed they'd do well for me.

I've heard that the Sennheisers might be too laid back for my tastes, though.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm 100% set on the SR-60s, but I don't think your definition of "bright" is exactly what I meant.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 13
My favourite headphones there would be the dt770's, though you'll end up wanting to get an amp and source if you don't already have one.

You may like the grado sr60/80 as they are more musical, however based on what it seems you're after I reiterate I would recommend the dt770.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favourite headphones there would be the dt770's, though you'll end up wanting to get an amp and source if you don't already have one.

You may like the grado sr60/80 as they are more musical, however based on what it seems you're after I reiterate I would recommend the dt770.

Hm...well, I don't currently have enough money for an amp or anything. They will likely be used on my Zune, Computer, and through my Stereo receiver.

So, let's make that another factor...no amp.
frown.gif

Also, what exactly do you mean by the Grados being "more musical"?

Edit: There's also the Denon AH-D1001K that I can get for under $100...Once again, though, no amp. Don't forget that.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 13
I listen to pretty much the exact music you do. Ihaven't heard any of the ATs or sens on the list but out of the rest the sr80s excel for melodic death. the bass is prominent, mids are there, and the highs are amazing for guitar. Just my $0.02.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to pretty much the exact music you do. Ihaven't heard any of the ATs or sens on the list but out of the rest the sr80s excel for melodic death. the bass is prominent, mids are there, and the highs are amazing for guitar. Just my $0.02.

Excellent
smily_headphones1.gif

I had assumed that, but still wanted to ask. I'm not saying I've 100% decided yet, though.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what exactly do you mean by the Grados being "more musical"?

Grados sound different. Only on a person by person basis can one say they are more musical. What is musical to someone will be rubbish to another.

I find most grados too bright and less musical than my Sennheiser HD650 for example (the HF-1 being the exception). Which was strange, because I love rock music and I too had read countless times that grados were 'the' cans for rock music. I picked up a nice pair of RS-2, and boy were they awful! I couldn't stand them.

So, just be cautious. Musical is something only you will be able to determine. You'll have to try different headphones before you find out what your preferences are.

Hope this helps,

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados sound different. Only on a person by person basis can one say they are more musical. What is musical to someone will be rubbish to another.

I find most grados too bright and less musical than my Sennheiser HD650 for example (the HF-1 being the exception). Which was strange, because I love rock music and I too had read countless times that grados were 'the' cans for rock music. I picked up a nice pair of RS-2, and boy were they awful! I couldn't stand them.

So, just be cautious. Musical is something only you will be able to determine. You'll have to try different headphones before you find out what your preferences are.

Hope this helps,

I'm assuming I could sell the SR-60s if got them and really didn't like them, right?

Also, it's hard telling what's "too bright" for some, because it might be perfectly fine for someone else. I really like a lot of detail in my music. I'll turn up the treble if I don't think there's enough. The only problem is that sometimes it will really overpower the other frequencies or just be shrill and hurt your ears.

The only thing I can compared it to is my car's stereo. The Diamond Audio Hex component set came with super bright tweeters (they gave me headaches and just made the music sound bad), and the crossover didn't let me turn them down enough (only -2db). I replaced them with some Blaupunkt tweeters (based off Rainbow tweeters), and they were still pretty bright, but not so much that I didn't like them. After they broke in, they're still really bright (not laid back at all), but don't bother me. I really like how they sound. However, my mids and are a little too far from the tweeters, so I'm lacking in the mid frequency range. Otherwise, I'd really like how it sounds.

Normally with crappier sound systems and headphones, I turn up the bass and treble (because it's lacking in bass and because I like a bright, detailed sound).

So, I'm thinking I may actually LIKE bright music, but ONLY if the mids aren't overpowered by it and there is decent, accurate bass to fill out the bottom end. That, and as long as I don't get headaches like my Diamond Audio tweeters gave me.

I'd also like to say that a large majority of people disliked the Diamond Audio tweeters. They were known as being way too bright. With the SR-60s, I don't hear nearly as many complaints...seems like the general majority really like them.

Maybe that will help you have a better understanding of what I consider too bright.

To simplify, bright and detailed is fine with me so long as the mids and bass aren't lacking and not overpowered. I like powerful sound that gets me involved...and I'm thinking headphones like Sennheisers could potentially be TOO laid back, which will make listening to metal pretty boring.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, if there was one headphone to give you a headache, it's certainly the grados. Having said that though, they are still considered hifi. They are just made to sound very forward and bright with detail.

You won't know until you try them. So, you could pick up a pair of SR60 or SR80 for a good price and try them. If you found you didn't like them, there is a very good resale value for them on the used market.

It sounds like you think the grado are what you are looking for, so I would say go for it and give them a try. I would probably spring for the SR80 over the SR60, especially since it's like 20$ more.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Edit: For any suggestions, don't forget that they need to be able to be powered by my Zune. The Sennheisers seem like they may have to high of an impedance, for example.

I'm also not SET on the Grados...they very well may be too much for my ears. But I'm not someone who's easily turned off to a bright sound, so long as the other frequency ranges aren't lacking.

As a side question, I listened to someone's Bose around-ear headphones. They sound pretty good...probably the best headphones I've heard so far (but I've barely listened to anything!). I could say I generally enjoyed how they sounded, but would never want to buy them. What would those be...brighter or more laid back? I'm not looking for something that sounds exactly like them by any means...just trying to gauge what I consider bright/laid back to what others think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back