Help me pick a DAP
Jan 25, 2023 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gallionetech

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm looking to pickup a DAP for when I'm on the go and to also use as a USB DAC for my M1 Max Macbook Pro 14". Any suggestions? I will be primarily running IEMs off of it. Here is my contender list:

- SP2000T
- iBasso DX320
- SP3000
- Cayin N8ii

Thanks in advance!

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the DX320. If you are planning to use it as a DAC connected to the PC for anything other than music, you will be sorely disappointed. The latency is huge(>= 200ms) which renders it useless for gaming, movies etc.

I assume this would be the same for any other Android DAP as the latency to some extent comes from Android, although I can’t confirm this for all the DAPs but only the one I have.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the DX320. If you are planning to use it as a DAC connected to the PC for anything other than music, you will be sorely disappointed. The latency is huge(>= 200ms) which renders it useless for gaming, movies etc.

I assume this would be the same for any other Android DAP as the latency to some extent comes from Android, although I can’t confirm this for all the DAPs but only the one I have.
Thanks for mentioning this, as it's a big concern for me.

Does anyone have any experience with the Cayin N8ii & whether the latency is a problem in the USB DAC mode?

Jan 25, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Also, can you get the same or better performance from a portable dac such as the Mojo 2 or Topping G5?

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for mentioning this, as it's a big concern for me.

Does anyone have any experience with the Cayin N8ii & whether the latency is a problem in the USB DAC mode?
No problem.
Just search in the respective threads for the DAPs keywords like “latency“ and you will find some information I’m sure.

For a DAC/AMP, it’s always best to buy a dedicated (portable if you want) one. It not only costs 1/3rd or even less compared to the DAPs but also performs much better. I can recommend IFI DACs like XDSD Gryphon or the Diablo. IFI DACs have one advantage over most other brands that they also work with consoles like PS5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back