Help me identify this headphone output (please)
Mar 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EnOYiN

Headphoneus Supremus
So, my dad came home with a receiver from work. An Aristona 6742 (philips). Here is a picture of it:

receiver.jpg

I have no idea about how old this thing might be, but I am sure it's older than 10 years. The only information I could find was a on www.hifimuseum.nl (a dutch website) and this website didn't provide any additional information about it. Just a few pictures.

It has a headphone output and that's great. There is a small problem though. I have no idea what kind of thing it is. It really looks like a electrostatic headphone output, but it's not the exact same thing as there is on stax amplifiers for instance. It has 5 holes instead of 4. (one additional in the middle)

My questions are: How do I identify this? Does this have to be a electrostatic output or can it be a dynamic output? If it's a dynamic output can I get a headphone jack converter so I can plug a 1/8 or 1/4 jack in there?

Something which you should consider if you answer this question: I am a complete noob for as far as the inner workings of an amp go.

P.S. I will post a picture of the output as soon as I can find a camera.

Edit: A picture of the headphone output itself:

headphonejack.jpg

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 9
The connection type is DIN 5-pin 45° and the only connector I found had a breakout into four phono connectors, presumably with a common ground. Doesn't seem applicable to me. That is, unless it's quadrophonic.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 9
i'd just like to comment that that's a really nice looking amp, i think it would look great alongside an industrial looking source like a Wadia. good find, hope the headphone output issue is resolved.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 9
Thats an old tape loop connection I believe. Tape in left and right, tape monitor left and right. Is it actually marked as headphone out?

Some K340s and other headphones did have 5 pin din connections rather than jacks, so that the seperate grounds werent shared at the plug, but I think that those used the 5 pin crescent layout and didnt have a centre pin.

Older QUAD and NAIM gear used to use 5 pin sockets for interconnection too.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 9
This will most likely date from the mid 1970s and yes it is a DIN neadphone socket. Phillips used to make phones with DIN plugs and 6.5mm adapters. Back before the 80s DIN connectors were common in european hi-fi for inerconnects. I had stuff myself that used the DIN standard.

I doubt you'll find an adapter these days but you could probably make one that'll work fine.

Edit*
Woah, just noticed the tone controls with sliding indicator. I'm changing time period to early 70s. Real period gear!
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it actually marked as headphone out?

Yah, else I wouldn't have known it actually was a headphone out.
tongue.gif
It has a tape loop connection as well. ( which says tape loop
rolleyes.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you'll find an adapter these days but you could probably make one that'll work fine.

Great, I would like to, but how do I do that?

And another question: Is this a dynamic connection? (assuming it is, but like I said before; I am a complete noob as far as these matters are concerned)

Thank you all for replying. You've helped a lot by telling me that it is a DIN connector. (I had never even heard of it before
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 9
You should still be able to find 5-pin DIN plugs (or old DIN cables to canibalise) all you need to do then is buy a jack socket and figure out which pins on the amp are ground and which are signal. You might have to open it up if you don't have a meter.

If you can't find the right DIN plug (there are bazillions of types including MIDI, PS-2 mice and S-Video) you could wire a small jack internally to the amp using the wires that currently go to the DIN headphone socket.

You can get some info here on DIN wiring.

Yes, it is dynamic.

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks!

I am going to try that in the next few days.

I do have a meter since I am building computers a lot. ( yes, even I know something about something
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back