Help Me Get Started
May 11, 2012 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OnyxVulpe

Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'd like to get started at I suppose an entry-level with this whole "audiophile" thing with a small budget of ~$100. I prefer a Circumaural design and I'd like to say closed, but I don't think I have experienced open so I don't know if I would prefer it or not. I currently have a Razer Carcharias headset and the bottom of the cushions in the ear cups rest on my earlobes which make extended wear uncomfortable (Even though I have been using these for ~3 years). And I am on the computer/wear it 10+ hours a day, so comfort is an issue.

I have looked at a bunch of guides on this site, but I think I have taller/larger(2.75"/ 7cm) than normal ears I am afraid of my ears not fitting in any headphones I look at or have been recommended. I don't know of any stores in my area where I'd be able to try out some headphones.

I listen to all types of music and play quite a bit of video games. So while I would much prefer a headset with an integrated microphone, I'm pretty sure I'd get worse sound quality if I were to get one with my budget.

So basically:
-~$100
-Circumaural
-Closed
-Comfortable
-Able to accommodate my larger ears
-Good for both music and games

So far I've only really taken a look at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, even though it's open, if it meets everything else I'd be happy with it.

May 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello everyone, I'd like to get started at I suppose an entry-level with this whole "audiophile" thing with a small budget of ~$100. I prefer a Circumaural design and I'd like to say closed, but I don't think I have experienced open so I don't know if I would prefer it or not. I currently have a Razer Carcharias headset and the bottom of the cushions in the ear cups rest on my earlobes which make extended wear uncomfortable (Even though I have been using these for ~3 years). And I am on the computer/wear it 10+ hours a day, so comfort is an issue.
I have looked at a bunch of guides on this site, but I think I have taller/larger(2.75"/ 7cm) than normal ears I am afraid of my ears not fitting in any headphones I look at or have been recommended. I don't know of any stores in my area where I'd be able to try out some headphones.
I listen to all types of music and play quite a bit of video games. So while I would much prefer a headset with an integrated microphone, I'm pretty sure I'd get worse sound quality if I were to get one with my budget.
So basically:
-~$100
-Circumaural
-Closed
-Comfortable
-Able to accommodate my larger ears
-Good for both music and games
So far I've only really taken a look at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, even though it's open, if it meets everything else I'd be happy with it.

Well there's the closed back version of the AD700, the A700.

May 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 6
the KRK Kns-6400 is all you need. 

May 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks everyone, the BRAINWAVZ HM5 seems to have caught my interest which includes the unbranded one mentioned as well. Just have to hear from others to confirm that they work just as well, and I'm a little concerned about warranty and such. Also if my ears can fit it comfortably.

Might be a little difficult for me to spend a bit more than $100 like I had planned if I don't go with those. I'll be getting $200 for taking care of friend's pets and I'm already planning to get a $130 mechanical keyboard, so spending more than $70 other than that will be rough.

Just hoping I'll really get my moneys worth. I'm thinking I should just take a quick glance at reviews instead of trying to read everything and get what seems good. I mean anything that you guys recommend will probably be much better than any headphones I've ever tried before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back