Help me get started
Dec 6, 2010 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TheFunkyAvocado

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I think I am ready to take the plunge into serious headphone listening.

My current setup is the AKG k-501 into a cambridge sonata system. I find it has good clarity and an inoffensive sonic signature but it lacks the 'life' of a proper hifi set.

What I am looking for in a headphone system is something that is sonically neutral and therefore versitile. My listening tastes mostly reside within metal, latin, classical, blues and jazz fusion. The vast majority of those styles lead me in the direction of electrostatic headphones. Metal appears to be the black sheep although it is likely the single largest single portion of what I listen to. Obviously, metal has a very different set of sonic requirements. My system would ideally be a compromise between these two ideals. This has me interested in the new orthodynamic headphones.

Headphones I have been considering include:

Hifiman HE4,HE5 and HE6
Stax sr202 and 303
AKG k702

I am unsure where to even begin with amps although the Hifiman and Stax headphone/amp combos seem like the obvious choice. I have also heard good things about musical fidelity.

I think my source (cambridge dv30) is the part least in need of upgrade but tell me if you think it is a problem.

In terms of budget I would like to keep it to a minimum but obviously good hifi is not cheap.

Help me choose please! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back