help me finish my surround sound setup
May 12, 2009 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, so i have some lovely energy c9 floorstanders

i have a new home theater projector so i think it behooves me to have some surround sound. now, i don't want to spend too much, and i'm not even sure if i want/need a sub

concerning the sub: i have an old CHEAP one, would it **** up my sound to put it with some much nicer speakers?

i have a zhaolu dac feeding a really basic onkyo 5.1 reciever, so the amp isn't anything special, but good dac and good speakers.

i'm just going to be listening to music in stereo mode, cuz i detest surround sound for music, so it's just for films and VIDEO GAMES. i want to hear those bastards sneak up on my in call of duty 4
smily_headphones1.gif

so i'm thinking, maybe just buy two pairs of basic energy or athena bookshelves (since energy is the same brand i'm thinking it would work well?)
..........and maybe an athena sub

do i need to use the same brand?

i don't want to spend much; just basic bookshelves

my dad worked for SRS in their early days and he knows nothing about audio, and really wants to believe that turning on SRS is going to be as good as actual speakers in the back.........i have to lovingly bust his bubble, although they seem to be doing some interesting new stuff

.......also, we live in a duplex, on the bottom floor so we can't too much noise or bass

....do you guys think that skipping the surround sound and just using headphones is as good as real speaker surround sound?......thanks folks

we'll also be listening with headphones at times, since i've got the upgraded amp in the zhaolu anyway, and of course i wouldn't dare show my face at headfi if i didn't have a couple pairs of kickass phones

basically i'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get a few more speakers and a sub, or just use the headphones......still uncertain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back