Help me find the Perfect Storm
Jul 4, 2007 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, headfellows, here's the sitch.

I'm moving to Turkey for 1 year, and I'm leaving in six weeks. I'm shifting my whole rig to a computer based one, since I will have neither the space nor resources to transport physical discs and players over there, but I'll definitely be bringing my laptop.

I'm running Vista x86, and I'm looking for the right solution to meet my needs. I'll be using the system to do everything -- play movies, play music, compose and record music using Reason and Protools, etc. My headphone setup is a pair of HD 580s through a Millett Hybrid.

As far as I understand it, I want a sound card that will low latency, support ASIO in Vista, and sound excellent. I'd also prefer it be as small as possible, but that's negotiable. I have a budget of about $200. What's the best I can do with those needs and those means?

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 7
I would suggest an HPDAC2 or an HPDAC3, but you're leaving before they will likely be finished. Another good option would be an HPDAC if you could find one, but there weren't a lot made, and the people who seem to have them are holding on to them. I've got all the parts to put one together, but I have been too lazy to do it so far.

Have you considered something like a Emu 0404 USB?

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered something like a Emu 0404 USB?

I have, but I can't seem to get any info on whether it runs smoothly with Vista. Other than that, the EMU is probably my first choice.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 7
Creative gear doesn't run smoothly on Vista, even with the supposedly "Vista compatibel" drivers. I have a Soundblaster SX and still expirience random crashes under Vista.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Download a copy of Windows XP
icon10.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 7
I dual booted for awhile, but I like Vista by and large. The drivers suck right now, but that will change over time.

If it weren't for this audio issue, I would have no qualms with Vista.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back