Help me find something like HF-1
May 4, 2009 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

slindeman

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphone to use late at night to listen to rock music on my laptop. I am downsizing from a HD650/Tube Amp/DAC system that doesn't get enough use to justify the cost.

At work, I have a Grado HF-1 which I enjoy a lot. I want something that sounds similar for my late night laptop listening. Something under $200. In the past I've owned SR-125, SR-225 and find them too bright, so they are out. What about the new i series? Or the Allessandros? Or something else? I've also owned HD580, K240S, HD590, DT990 in this price range, and while they aren't bad, I'm hoping there is something I've missed that is better.

May 4, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Do they need to be open? With aesthetics aside, maybe a pair of AT ESW9's. Warm bass but not bloated and slightly forward mids and when compared to the 225's, the 9's have less sparkle at the treble end. Being portable cans and sealed, I think this is a good choice for your late night listening and no amp is necessary. Price is the only setback unless buying used of course.

May 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Maybe you just need a pair of SR60 and flat pads. Otherwise the ESW9, while I haven't listened to them but I own the ESW10jpn and it's said they're quite similar, is a good suggestion too. RS-1 with flats are supposed to sound more refined than the HF-1 (never heard them), but above your price limit. Perhaps an used pair...

May 6, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 4
I find my MS-1s to be a cheap alternative to the HF-1. Don't expect them to be as good, they're simply not, but for laptop listening they're quite nice. That's pretty much exactly what I use them for. I also have my HF-1s at work with my DAC and AMP. I use a total bithead with the MS-1s.

They sound similar in a lot of ways, but not nearly as refined or crisp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back