Help me choose (with reasons): metro.fi or v-moda vibe?
Dec 13, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

productred

1000+ Head-Fier
What are the differences between these two? I see quite some hype about the Vibe but how about the metro.fi? I can get either at more or less the same price. I'm tempted by the UE brand name though the Vibe seems to be receiving raves..........
basshead.gif

My musical taste is vastly diversed, so versatility shall be an asset~ Also how much do they isolate? (cos i've read some saying that the Vibe doesn't isolate at all though it is publicized as noise isolating.........confused....)

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 9
no experience with um...

vibe will be great for all but classical, but ear is the final judge.

um should have better isolation.

You should mention your sound preference - bass or mids or treble specifically, what your source is, where do you plan on using them...

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no experience with um...

vibe will be great for all but classical, but ear is the final judge.

um should have better isolation.

You should mention your sound preference - bass or mids or treble specifically, what your source is, where do you plan on using them...

thx for your reply~

actually i have no particular sound preference. as i've said, my musical taste is so vastly diversed, ranging from industrial rock to quiet classical pieces, that i need the earphone to do everything (or at least most things) right. I'm definitely no basshead though. My prim source is ipod nano 2nd gen but i think both of my choices can serve nano OK, right?

I dun need er4's clinical sound (i'd use er4 for that purpose), and would DEFINITELY avoid anything like sf5p/eb, though i do enjoy sf3s. just hope i can have something cheaper and more susceptible to abuse (and something i won't miss *so much* if i destroy/lose them by accident)

Any more inputs?
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Vibe is pretty bassy - more so than any other in its range. Keep that in mind.

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by productred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thx for your reply~

actually i have no particular sound preference. as i've said, my musical taste is so vastly diversed, ranging from industrial rock to quiet classical pieces, that i need the earphone to do everything (or at least most things) right. I'm definitely no basshead though. My prim source is ipod nano 2nd gen but i think both of my choices can serve nano OK, right?

I dun need er4's clinical sound (i'd use er4 for that purpose), and would DEFINITELY avoid anything like sf5p/eb, though i do enjoy sf3s. just hope i can have something cheaper and more susceptible to abuse (and something i won't miss *so much* if i destroy/lose them by accident)

Any more inputs?
tongue.gif

And gee Malos i did mention my sound needs: versatility!
And i didn't mention source cos it's pretty obvious that both metro.fi and vibes can suit my source (or indeed any source) fine~
And budget......it's pretty obvious from my choice between metro.fi and vibes, right?
lambda.gif

Trust me, i've helped many newbies to choose their earphones in my local forums so i do know what to include in a recommendation thread~ sorry for the misunderstanding though, and thx for your input!~
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vibe is pretty bassy - more so than any other in its range. Keep that in mind.

O.....then would you consider it as a basshead phone or is it OK for general purposes? From the VERY limited resources on the metro.fis i gather it is pretty bass-centric also.
wink.gif

And I read your review on the Vibes.........great job~ i've toyed with some Vibes the other day without any careful listening and the most striking features on first look are the pretty sturdy cable (the clear/silvery one for the chrome version) and the cool pouch. and i do agree it's quite bassy, yet acceptable to me, out of the box.......wonder if the bass would be tamed and tightened after some burn-in.

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 9
And......pardon me but any input for the metro.fis? indeed i'm more interested in this one, not that i'm tilted towards it, but just that it seems to be a mystery out there......no info on UE website, no proper reviews from actual owners............

Who got the metro.fis at the UE facilities or at the triple.fi meet? Spill!!!!
eggosmile.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 9
It does tighten with burn-in. And your ears burn-in too.
Its fine for all purposes honestly, I am not much of a punchy bass-head, and yet I am fine with vibe. Sound-quality they should beat metrofi, since they do beat everything in the price range and a bit above.

Dec 13, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 9
The Metro.fi is a fun listen first and foremost, and it does sacrifice some refinement in the name of that fun. The bass is big and punchy, though not to the insane levels of the EB. Treble has a slight edge, but it's not sibilant or harsh. The midrange is a bit recessed, but still gets the message across. It's hard to compare them to a full-sized headphone, but I'd say their sound signature leans in the direction of the DT770-80. Bottom line is that they are fun to listen to, and all one might need for most portable applications, but their flaws begin to show under critical listening. They're light years ahead of the similarly designed Shure E2, which sounds like a bad joke by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back