Help me choose the right headphones between (2) Contenders (Sorry, didn't like my original title)
Jul 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DrGonzo

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an on-ear haedphone that is enjoyable to listen to (not necessarily reference style, but nothing over exagerated like the beats brand of headphones) and that does not require amplification. Also sub $300. I will be using these headphones for office, home, and travel with my Cowon J3.

I listen to a little bit of everything from Beastie Boys to Bluegrass. I really enjoy The Grateful Dead, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Pearl Jam, 80's and 90's Rock, Classic Rock, Tom Petty, Goteye. I absolutely love Bluegrass and Beastie Boys are one of my all time favorite bands, but they are just about all the Rap/Hip-hop I listen to. I also listen to alot of acoustic guitar music like City and Colour, The Weepies, Jack Johnson, and Steve Reynolds. So like I said i listen to a broad range of music.

That being said I have narrowed my choices to The Sennheiser HD 25 Originals (adidas) and the aiaiai TMA-1. I briefly owned the TMA-1's for a couple months when they first came out, but sold them to help fund another project. From what I remember I did like them, but don't really remember the sound. I've never heard the HD 25's nor am I able to, since no stores around me carry them, but I have heard 558's, 239's and even 650's and I really enjoy the Sennheiser brand of headphones and love the looks of the HD 25 adidas cans. I also love the looks of the TMA-1's, so based on looks; I'm torn.

I've read the reviews and posts of both headphones here on head-fi and other sites and they mainly state that the TMA-1's are for electronic/techno musicv which I don't listen to and the HD 25's are geared toward rock. So since my decision is going to come down to sound between these 2 headphones, I am seeking advice from the experts/gurus here on head-fi. Which of these 2 headphones would suit my musical tastes more. Thank you for any insight that you can provide. I apologize for the long post, but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 5
As a former HD25 owner, I loved the exciting sound signature. The V-shaped FR was really engaging, and worked well with most genres. The only problem is that the highs occasionally were fatiguing after a few treble-heavy songs.

I have never heard the TMA-1, but I have heard that is is a bass machine. Many do like it, especially after they EQ the treble up.

HD25 also have rather high clamping force, while the TMA-1 sit relatively loosely. So while the TMA-1 may be more comfortable, they sometimes fall off, and do not isolate as well the HD25. that being said, the HD25 have been very uncomfortable to some. I have a medium sized-head, and it is fine for me.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank, tzjin, for your reply.  I think I am leaning towards the HD 25, but still not 100% sold.  I wish I could hear them, but oh well.  If I decide on them I will definitely purchase from a retailer that will issue a refund if not satisfied.  I'm not too worried about the clamping on the HD 25, because I have a small to medium size head.

How are the details of the HD 25?  Example I love when I can hear the subtle sounds in my music like the scratching of an acoustic guitar strings, etc.

Still would love to here some more input.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 5
The HD25 are relatively detailed, an impression helped by a slightly emphasized treble. However, if you're used to the super-analytical nature of IEM's such as the DBA-02, you won't be impressed. It does outperform the TMA-1 vastly in this regard, since it's treble isn't hiding
tongue.gif

Simply put, it is quite good and probably slightly above average for it's price. You should be able to pick out the subtle sounds without too much difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back