Help me choose between these 2 options
Oct 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

62ohm

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have a Q701 and I've been eyeing on the Lyr to make it warmer. With my current budget, I can have either the Lyr, or a Vali + HE-400 or RS2i.

Which option do you guys think should I go with? Can the Vali warm up the sound signature of the Q701? Please provide a reason of your choice, Cheers.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 22
From your options I would probably go for the Vali + HE-400.

Tough I only heard the Vali with the SR60s/KSC75/HD558s, I don't feel that the Vali would warm up your Q701. At least not based in my experience with the cans I used.

I heard the HE-400 with other amps and based on what I heard, I feel the Vali + HE-400 would make a great match. I also know people I trust who have experienced the Vali + HE-400 combo and had great things to say about it.

The only concern I would have is tube microphonics and possible noise floor issues with the Vali. However, SQ is pretty good with the Vali in general.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks for your opinion there.

Anyone else willing to give more opinion?

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 22
Bump, anyone?

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 22
Switch cans, not amps. I don't know why anybody would be in a rush to buy amps. The Lyr is plenty good, I would play around with different headphones and use the Lyr as a good baseline.

Try HD650 and K550 for contrast. Sometimes it's not about pricepoint, it's more about sound signature and you sound like you're looking for something more warm and fun. It's not a guilty pleasure it's just simple preference. I prefer cold and calculating sound signatures like the HD800, but I can only listen to them for so long before it becomes fatiguing, so I just listen at lower volume which is probably better for me anyway.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 22
  Switch cans, not amps. I don't know why anybody would be in a rush to buy amps. The Lyr is plenty good, I would play around with different headphones and use the Lyr as a good baseline.

Try HD650 and K550 for contrast. Sometimes it's not about pricepoint, it's more about sound signature and you sound like you're looking for something more warm and fun. It's not a guilty pleasure it's just simple preference. I prefer cold and calculating sound signatures like the HD800, but I can only listen to them for so long before it becomes fatiguing, so I just listen at lower volume which is probably better for me anyway.

Well, in essence yes I am looking for something warmer to compliment the cold Q701. I tried the HD650 before, and yes while it is much warmer than the Q701 for some reason I am more intrigued to the RS2i, which I have also tried. Never got the chance to try out the HE-400 though.

I noticed in your signature than you have an LCD-2 as well, is that the same case here? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 22
Howdy from the deep south.

Just a thought - what about a solid state like the Audio-gd NFB 15.32 (I have it's former iteration - the NFB-12).

I've owned the K701, Q701 and currently own the K702.  All of the AKG's need current - not voltage.  So the ideal amp for them is either a tube hybrid or straight solid state (ideally with less than 7 ohms on the headphone out, and a good current output).

I also own a LD MKIV OTL - and much prefer the K702 out of my NFB-12 than the LD.  Switching to an OTL (IMO) is just adding extra voltage that you can't utilise, and also adding a bad impedance mismatch as well.

The NFB-12 and NFB-15 are both based on dual Wolfson WM8741s for the DAC stage - and to me are very full bodied (good bottom end and great fullness) - ideally suited to the AKGs.

Otherwise - consider switching to a different headphone - I'd suggest the HD600 for a start.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 22

Well, in essence yes I am looking for something warmer to compliment the cold Q701. I tried the HD650 before, and yes while it is much warmer than the Q701 for some reason I am more intrigued to the RS2i, which I have also tried. Never got the chance to try out the HE-400 though.

I noticed in your signature than you have an LCD-2 as well, is that the same case here? 
biggrin.gif

I have LCD-2 but I thought we were trying to keep it within the current prices ranges LOL. If you honestly got HE-500 you'd probably have exactly the headphone you're looking for. I like LCD-2 and HE-500 equally. HE-400 is a solid contender too for around that budget.

Just a thought - what about a solid state like the Audio-gd NFB 15.32 (I have it's former iteration - the NFB-12).

I've owned the K701, Q701 and currently own the K702.  All of the AKG's need current - not voltage.  So the ideal amp for them is either a tube hybrid or straight solid state (ideally with less than 7 ohms on the headphone out, and a good current output).

I also own a LD MKIV OTL - and much prefer the K702 out of my NFB-12 than the LD.  Switching to an OTL (IMO) is just adding extra voltage that you can't utilise, and also adding a bad impedance mismatch as well.

The NFB-12 and NFB-15 are both based on dual Wolfson WM8741s for the DAC stage - and to me are very full bodied (good bottom end and great fullness) - ideally suited to the AKGs.

Otherwise - consider switching to a different headphone - I'd suggest the HD600 for a start.

NFB 15.32 has a silly amount of power, it's great for 70'1s.

HD-600 is probably a great idea.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 22
What kind of music do u listen to....

I am more inclined towards buying a LYR first n roll some tubes..Given your chosen option.
See if that helps. If not..sell the q701, n get the next can that's bugging u. :p
The Lyr is good n powerful enough for loads of cans..LCD 2 , grado .etc

at this moment I am in love with my darkvoice336se...
It's got a full bloom organic sound that I haven't heard in a lyr...
Maybe I haven't roll enough tubes when I had the lyr..hmmm.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 22

How much does the HD600 differs with HD650? Now I confuse to choose between the HD650/ HD600/ RS-2i/ HE-400 lol

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 22
Similar tonally.  But HD650 is darker and warmer.  HD600 is slightly brighter and less bassy.  Both scale really well with amplification.

Of the two - the HD600 is the more natural sounding can.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 22

I have LCD-2 but I thought we were trying to keep it within the current prices ranges LOL. If you honestly got HE-500 you'd probably have exactly the headphone you're looking for. I like LCD-2 and HE-500 equally. HE-400 is a solid contender too for around that budget.

NFB 15.32 has a silly amount of power, it's great for 70'1s.

HD-600 is probably a great idea.

Yes the LCD-2 is way out of my budget lol, what I meant is did you get the LCD-2 to complement the cold HD800?

What kind of music do u listen to....

I am more inclined towards buying a LYR first n roll some tubes..Given your chosen option.
See if that helps. If not..sell the q701, n get the next can that's bugging u.
tongue.gif

The Lyr is good n powerful enough for loads of cans..LCD 2 , grado .etc

at this moment I am in love with my darkvoice336se...
It's got a full bloom organic sound that I haven't heard in a lyr...
Maybe I haven't roll enough tubes when I had the lyr..hmmm.

Well, mostly classic rock & slow acoustics & orchestral

The Q701 is very satisfying with slow acoustics, but not so much with classic rocks I must say

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 22
Yes...get the audioGd dac/amp combo....u can always tail in a tube amp later.
It's a matter of the queue...looks like u are gonna own all the cans mentioned here sooner or later..
:D

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 22
Yes...get the audioGd dac/amp combo....u can always tail in a tube amp later.
It's a matter of the queue...looks like u are gonna own all the cans mentioned here sooner or later..
biggrin.gif

Kill me..... 
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 22
Hey u already hav the schiit stack....jus saw your tag line.
Hmmmm...if u dun wanna sell anything, jus get a grado first..
That should rock your booty immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back