Help me choose a suitable upgrade to a millett
Aug 15, 2006 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
I had been giving some thought to replacing my decently speced Millett with an M3, but after discussion "elsewhere" came to the conclusion that it would not be much of an upgrade (if any) for my system. The Millett builder describes it as ""tread (27v), vishay dale 1/4w resistors, wima film caps, nichicon upw electrlytic caps, buf634s, nobel black beauty pot (10k)". I also have DDBs that I have unfortunately never heard with it because they were destroyed in shipping (currently being repaired). I use 12FK6 tubes.

My gear consists of the Millett, RS-1s, and UM2s, with iPod/line-out as source (yeah yeah...). The amp is mainly for the Grados at present, but I intend to buy some other headphones to complement my setup in the future (probably Senns or Beyers). I guess I should probably be looking into a DAC or better source, but I really feel like getting a new amp after thinking about the M3 upgrade so much. The DAC would definitely be next on the list, though.

The problem I'm having now is that I know very little about headphone amps beyond the level of the M3/Millett. A couple of people have suggested the Mapletree Audio Ear+Purist HD, but at $600 it very pricey for my level of interest in the headphone hobby. The Dynahi was also mentioned, and this would not be as expensive (but perhaps not as good?). I am open to pretty much any suggestions for suitable amps that would be a definite upgrade for me above the Millett/M3.

Thanks guys!

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 10
The M3 uses MOSFET output (no buffer chips) and is probably the most powerful DIY amp short of the Gilmore designs. Power supply is a separate issue, but most pair an M3 with a STEPS, which is as good as it gets for headphone amp power supplies.

That being said, from most comments (I haven't finished building mine, yet) the M3 is ruthlessly detailed, albeit with a powerful warmth that's not present in most SS amps. Nevertheless, it may not be your cup of tea compared to a tube amp.

Be advised that there is a well-known forum participant with a less than commendable reputation that recently dissed a purchased M3 rather badly. At least in DIY circles, the M3 is as good as it gets while still being in the "attainable" category.

P.S.
As an aside, I'm a big believer in MOSFET's - and am surprised that more designers don't use them. They are unique in power transistor design in having a reversed thermal coefficient - as current increases, temperature drops. We owe a debt to Szerkes, Sheldon Stokes and Amb/Morsel for introducing MOSFET's into the DIY headphone community.

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your reply. I realize the M3 is very nice amp, and I would very much like to hear one, but judging from comments by others, it is probably not a truly significant upgrade over the Millett I have right now. I was originally very keen on switching my Millett for an M3, but after careful consideration I think it would probably be better to take it a step further and go for a true upgrade to the next level. Sigh, my wallet
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Your setup SCREAMS.. SOURCE UPGRADE!!!
rs1smile.gif

IMHO the Millet is a very capable RS1 amp.... speed and resolution of ss, enhanced with some nice tube warmth. You might want to consider a ming-da, darkvoice or LDII+, all-tube designs that aren't necessarily a step UP from your millet... more like a step OVER.

I use my millet with my HD580 and earmax with my RS1. The all-tube warmth of the earmax is a nice coloration that synnergizes well with the RS1.

Next step up from here (for me) would be a PPX. Although I want to try a darkvoice too.

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
The M3 uses MOSFET output (no buffer chips) and is probably the most powerful DIY amp short of the Gilmore designs. Power supply is a separate issue, but most pair an M3 with a STEPS, which is as good as it gets for headphone amp power supplies.

That being said, from most comments (I haven't finished building mine, yet) the M3 is ruthlessly detailed, albeit with a powerful warmth that's not present in most SS amps. Nevertheless, it may not be your cup of tea compared to a tube amp.

Be advised that there is a well-known forum participant with a less than commendable reputation that recently dissed a purchased M3 rather badly. At least in DIY circles, the M3 is as good as it gets while still being in the "attainable" category.

P.S.
As an aside, I'm a big believer in MOSFET's - and am surprised that more designers don't use them. They are unique in power transistor design in having a reversed thermal coefficient - as current increases, temperature drops. We owe a debt to Szerkes, Sheldon Stokes and Amb/Morsel for introducing MOSFET's into the DIY headphone community.

I've always found(in home gear anyway)that MOSFET's = Mud!
frown.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Your setup SCREAMS.. SOURCE UPGRADE!!!
rs1smile.gif

Yep, for sure. Though the iPod is pretty capable, it is not a high-end audio component. My next purchase after a new amp would be a DAC to use the computer as source. After that, more headphones! Then I can retire and block head-fi... yep...
plainface.gif

I am checking out a few amps right now. GS-1, PPX, Ear+HD. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
Thanks for your reply. I realize the M3 is very nice amp, and I would very much like to hear one, but judging from comments by others, it is probably not a truly significant upgrade over the Millett I have right now. I was originally very keen on switching my Millett for an M3, but after careful consideration I think it would probably be better to take it a step further and go for a true upgrade to the next level. Sigh, my wallet
rolleyes.gif

Perhaps Kramer is correct about the synergy between a Millett and Grado's, but once you start measuring performance, the Millett is a losing proposition.

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 10
The Millet is a fine amp for Grados. I would upgrade the source first. Going from a decent but unspectacular soundcard to a nice DAC was just the thing I needed. I had gone through 3-4 different amps and many headphones with some dissapointment, but once I had the new DAC the dissapointments were gone and I haven't felt the need to upgrade past the Millet or the HF-1.

And the only measurement you need is whether you are enjoying the music or not. I'll take happiness over low distortion and contentment over channel separation anyday.

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Well, if you dig the signature, but want more range / power, look no further than Pete Millet's other designs, the HA-1 or the HA-2.

http://www.pmillett.com/wheatfield.htm

Good luck finding one - very much a cult classic. I've owned both, and loved both.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
The Millet is a fine amp for Grados. I would upgrade the source first. Going from a decent but unspectacular soundcard to a nice DAC was just the thing I needed. I had gone through 3-4 different amps and many headphones with some dissapointment, but once I had the new DAC the dissapointments were gone and I haven't felt the need to upgrade past the Millet or the HF-1.

And the only measurement you need is whether you are enjoying the music or not. I'll take happiness over low distortion and contentment over channel separation anyday.

Let's see ... where was that old 8-track?

Seriously, I only have 4 Milletts on the building board myself. However, the man asked the question about how to improve. The Millett has to be viewed in its own context - and it does very well in that regard, but there is better - and it's not a great mystery to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back