Help me choose a portable headphone
Apr 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZMeshign

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a portable headphone with these specifications, and I will appreciate any replies from anyone that is willing to help me find a suitable one that fits my needs:
  1. Deep, impactful bass
  2. Roomy/wide
  3. Doesn't leak sound
  4. Fair clarity in mids and highs
  5. Around £200 budget

In addition to this, you may want to consider that the source is an iPod Classic.

Thank you

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Thanks. Are the ESW9s portable? Because they look so big in pictures...
Also please note that I am not going to amp these. Is that fine?

Most definitely fine. The ESW9's are most certainly portable, they are supra aural and are smaller than pictures would have you believe. They can be described as a lush sounding portable, really good value for money.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 10
The Ultrasone Pro900 offers deep punchy bass, crisp clear mids, highs and wider soundstage and they improve with AMPs help.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 10
I had some problems that I needed to sort out before buying the ESW9s, so I am going to buy them soon but I have a question: My main use is in the gym while exercising, is that of any harm to the ESW9s? If yes, then what would you recommend as a replacement to these?
And how good is the isolation of these? I've also read somewhere that these sometimes leak sound, is that true because there is music playing in the gym and the noisy machines as you know so isolation is a fairly important factor for me at the moment while not making the person beside me want to knife me because of the sound leakage.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Don't listen to those haedphones while int he gym.  The ATH ESW9 with the beautiful lacquer wooden cups and the leather-like headband.  They aren't life-proof like some Ultrasones so yes I could so some harm coming to them.  Why not just purchase some MEEElectronics Sports Buds also in addition the ATH ESW9 for 15 dollars.  They're on sale and the coupon code or link is in the deals thread for portable headphones.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Don't listen to those haedphones while int he gym.  The ATH ESW9 with the beautiful lacquer wooden cups and the leather-like headband.  They aren't life-proof like some Ultrasones so yes I could so some harm coming to them.  Why not just purchase some MEEElectronics Sports Buds also in addition the ATH ESW9 for 15 dollars.  They're on sale and the coupon code or link is in the deals thread for portable headphones.

I am not really looking for earphones because I do not like how they sound. Headphones are more spacious and more pleasing to listen to for me.
So are there any portables that don't get hurt in the gym with fair isolation and no sound leakage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back