Help me buy my first good pair of headphones.
Feb 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

TheJackhammer

New Head-Fier
Hello I'm new to this web sight so please bear with me.
Now I own lots of relatively good ear buds but i think I'm ready to buy a really good set of head phones.
I listen to just about all genres of music, from dub step to orchestra.
My budget is not the largest at only $250.

I'm currently looking at the;

Allen and Heath; Xone XD53.
Fischer Audio;fa-003.
Ultrasone,hfi-780.
Ultrasone,hfi-2200 or hfi-2400.

Are these good? And if so witch is the best? Or should i buy a pair that I haven't listed? 

As far as the amp goes, I have no clue if I will even need one.
But if I do i would prefer a portable model.
My budget for the amp is even less at no more then $150, but would prefer less then $100.

ALL help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 60
Now I own lots of relatively good ear buds but i think I'm ready to buy a really good set of head phones.

Fischer Audio;fa-003.
Ultrasone,hfi-780.

Are these good? And if so witch is the best? Or should i buy a pair that I haven't listed? 

My budget for the amp is even less at no more then $150, but would prefer less then $100.

Thanks.

There's good news and bad news. The bad news is the first two brands are not common. The good news is that since they're uncommon, you can do a Google search (which I did) and find some good info sources that aren't littered with irrelevant postings like you get with the common brands.

But if you talked more specifically about your application and exactly what kind of sound you're looking for you might get some unexpected tips.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 60
Fisher audio isn't that uncommon. I haven't heard of the first brand, though.

And don't use Google, ask the people here, as we're more knowlegeable. I can't really help further than that, though as I have no personal experience with any of the brands or models listed. Good luck!

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 60

Quote:
Quote:

Fischer Audio;fa-003.
Ultrasone,hfi-780.

Thanks.

There's good news and bad news. The bad news is the first two brands are not common. The good news is that since they're uncommon, you can do a Google search (which I did) and find some good info sources that aren't littered with irrelevant postings like you get with the common brands.

But if you talked more specifically about your application and exactly what kind of sound you're looking for you might get some unexpected tips.

okay then to be more specific I'm looking for an all round good sounding set of headphones, withe good base but with out the highs falling apart and vice versa, wile having good mids.
as i mentioned before i listen to almost all types of music.
but mostly;
  1. dub step
  2. all types of rock
  3. classical
  4. EVERY THING

I hope that helps.

And BTW the fist brand is mostly DJ equipment but they do make some supposedly great (and cheap headphones)

Thanks again

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 60

Quote:
TheJackhammer said:

okay then to be more specific I'm looking for an all round good sounding set of headphones, withe good base but with out the highs falling apart and vice versa, wile having good mids.
as i mentioned before i listen to almost all types of music.
but mostly;
  1. dub step
  2. all types of rock
  3. classical
  4. EVERY THING

I hope that helps.

And BTW the fist brand is mostly DJ equipment but they do make some supposedly great (and cheap headphones)

Thanks again

I've had a few headphones that I think would be good for all around listening, with good balance of high, mid, and low, but still with enough bass impact to deliver, and with good highs that aren't peaky and harsh.  Great headphones IOW.  Those are (or were) the Grado 325 series, the Sennheiser 580/565/600/650 etc.  All equally good, with minor variations.  I've had other brands like Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sony, Stax, and Bose, but for one reason or another, none of those were what I felt was an all-around good headphone.  I'm doing extensive listening on a Beyer DT-48E now, but I wouldn't recommend that to you because there are too many caveats, and you'd be better off researching special items like that yourself.  I'm kinda new to this forum, a couple of weeks, but I get the sense that some of the so-called DJ headphones might fit into that "special" category that you would have to research more closely, since there's not just one type of sound for a "DJ headphone" - they vary a lot.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 60
Welcome to Head-Fi by the way!  Based on your preferences I would suggest going with the HFi-2400.  The Ultrasone offers a strong, deep bass response along with a open back design that will allow it to excel with musical pieces that would need a large sound stage like orchestra.  For a amp in your price range that would be Fiio's E7.  The E7 acts as both a DAC and a amp, so you can use it with a laptop, pc or a portable media player.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 60

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi by the way!  Based on your preferences I would suggest going with the HFi-2400.  The Ultrasone offers a strong, deep bass response along with a open back design that will allow it to excel with musical pieces that would need a large sound stage like orchestra.  For a amp in your price range that would be Fiio's E7.  The E7 acts as both a DAC and a amp, so you can use it with a laptop, pc or a portable media player.

Thank's.
Ya I was looking at the fiio amp's but have hade a hard time to find an actual revew on them most results i got were just news
but what have you heard about there e5 its really small and much cheaper.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 60
If you only need an amp then the E5 is an option, but if your going to go with the Ultrasone you'll probably need a stronger amp like iBasso's T3 or even Electric-Avenues's PA2v2.  Here's a link to a detailed review of the E7-http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e7-portable-dac/

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 60
This doesn't sound right. If your budget is only *about* $250, you should spend all of that on a headphone. You shouldn't need an amp unless something is wrong with your gear. I have a very inefficient Sennheiser HD-800 headphone, and I can rock my ears off with that and a iPod Nano touch (the tiny little square player with the touchscreen). And the quality of sound between the iPod and a really good amp is negligible. It's a difference you can appreciate when listening with very, very good headphones, in a very quiet place, with very good source material. In all other cases, you wouldn't notice much difference, and possibly none at all, unless as I mentioned, something is wrong or mismatched in your gear.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 60

Quote:
This doesn't sound right. If your budget is only *about* $250, you should spend all of that on a headphone. You shouldn't need an amp unless something is wrong with your gear. I have a very inefficient Sennheiser HD-800 headphone, and I can rock my ears off with that and a iPod Nano touch (the tiny little square player with the touchscreen). And the quality of sound between the iPod and a really good amp is negligible. It's a difference you can appreciate when listening with very, very good headphones, in a very quiet place, with very good source material. In all other cases, you wouldn't notice much difference, and possibly none at all, unless as I mentioned, something is wrong or mismatched in your gear.

250 for the headphones
and 50-100 for the amp.
on offence next but nexttimeyou might want to read alittle more carefully.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 60

Quote:
If you only need an amp then the E5 is an option, but if your going to go with the Ultrasone you'll probably need a stronger amp like iBasso's T3 or even Electric-Avenues's PA2v2.  Here's a link to a detailed review of the E7-http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e7-portable-dac/

thanks for the review the price for the e5 makes it very tempting.
and on a side note the review callsthe e7 a "....hybrid between a portable amplifier and an entry level USB DAC."
so what in god's name is a usb dac? and do i need one?
and what do you think of this useing this(http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html) insted of the headphone jack?
srry if that was a lot of questions.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 60
The Xone cans are an amazing headphone and will blow you away for Dub Step.

You don't need to amp them, and they don't need a Bass Boost of any kind. They're meant for DJs.

If you're looking for other genres outside of Electronic stuff, they may not be the best choice because they're pretty much made for those genres.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 60

Quote:

TheJackhammer said:
250 for the headphones
and 50-100 for the amp.
on offence next but nexttimeyou might want to read alittle more carefully.

Next time *you* should read more carefully, unless you don't want honest advice, in which case you should post to a private message.  You will get better sound with a $350 headphone than with a $250 headphone and a $100 amp, unless you have a specific reason (which you didn't state) why you have to have the amp.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 60

Quote:

Next time *you* should read more carefully, unless you don't want honest advice, in which case you should post to a private message.  You will get better sound with a $350 headphone than with a $250 headphone and a $100 amp, unless you have a specific reason (which you didn't state) why you have to have the amp.

um....in my first post i asked if i needed one...and still havent got a straght answer that is yes er no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back