Help: JH16 imbalance
Jan 8, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #16 of 21
I recently purchased a pair JH16 from the forum and sent them to Unique Melody to have them reshelled. UM had the drivers measured and it appears to have a 6 db difference between the left and right midrange drivers.

I was wondering if this level of imbalance is common in the JH16's since I've read that for low level listening, imbalance seems to be a problem. If so, would it go away at higher volumes (I don't exactly know how UM test these). Also, is there anyway to fix this (UM can't help since it's Jerry Harvey's design).

Cheers.

Damn... I thought over a year Im getting deaf on right ear and it was JH16 imbalance from the begining :/

This sucks a lot! Worse is that if i read this post earlier I would send them back while on warranty.

The fit aint perfect too... I had to adjust mine myself!

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 21
I had JH16 imbalance where everything was slightly louder on left side.  Drove me insane.  Sent back and there was no difference.   JH said they were fine and equal coming out both shells.   I do NOT think it was a fit problem because they modeled the 16's exactly off my JH5' and 13's which both fit perfectly.  Had they fit right I would still have them as I really liked them.

I sold them at a HUGE loss and that pretty much scared me off customs, especially now that universals have progressed so much.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #18 of 21
  I had JH16 imbalance where everything was slightly louder on left side.  Drove me insane.  Sent back and there was no difference.   JH said they were fine and equal coming out both shells.   I do NOT think it was a fit problem because they modeled the 16's exactly off my JH5' and 13's which both fit perfectly.  Had they fit right I would still have them as I really liked them.

I sold them at a HUGE loss and that pretty much scared me off customs, especially now that universals have progressed so much.

Damn... I like my JH16 but same must admit, this right imbalance drives me nuts :frowning2:
Its not large but  noticeable enough, like all sound coming from hour 10 all time... more annoying is  I thought something wrong is with my right ear ... until I compared properly with mono signal with other phones.

I contacted JH and they told me to send it to them for checking, you reckon they wont detect anything? 

I meassurred resistance and they are almost same (half ohm difference...).

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 21
  Damn... I like my JH16 but same must admit, this right imbalance drives me nuts :frowning2:
Its not large but  noticeable enough, like all sound coming from hour 10 all time... more annoying is  I thought something wrong is with my right ear ... until I compared properly with mono signal with other phones.

I contacted JH and they told me to send it to them for checking, you reckon they wont detect anything? 

I meassurred resistance and they are almost same (half ohm difference...).

That's heartbreaking. I am sorry for your troubles and hope they get it worked out to your satisfaction. Please let us know what the outcome is. I do greatly appreciate you (everyone) posting their experiences. Feedback I read in these forums is the more important factor in my decision process.Honestly, what I have seen about JH has caused me to steer clear.

Good luck!

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 21
Thankfully, universals are now un arguably as good as customs so I have no desire to get customs again.  This is a WAAAAY safer bet to ensure you always get your money's worth (and full resale value).

Unless you have really strange ear configuration....in 2015...I see no reason whatsoever why any one would blow unrecoverable money on custom IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back