Help! It's my birthday!
Sep 26, 2007 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joeq70

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. I've been a long-time visitor to these forums, and I have truly enjoyed and learned much from everyone's musings on this wonderful hobby. Because of you people, I'm a proud owner of the KSC75s! So, thank you. Now, I hope to add to this community's awesomeness.

As the title of this thread suggests, it's my birthday(soon). Hurray! My birthday is on October 10th, and I'm seriously considering a new pair of headphones. After reading many impressions on various headphones, I'm still uncertain as to what would best suit my needs, so I ask for your input.

First, no IEMs. Also, I'll be using the headphones out of my soundcard on my computer (at first). I plan to purchase an MP3 player and perhaps an older Sony Discman before Christmas. I also plan on purchasing an iBasso D1 at some point, so take that into consideration.

I mostly listen to indie, rock, pop, folk, alternative, and progressive music. Some artists that I enjoy: Copeland, Imogen Heap, Mae, Eisley, Midlake, Dredg, mewithoutYou, Lovedrug, Pinback, and Mew.

I'm seeking headphones that have smooth vocals, crisp details, and tight but salient bass. My price range is $400 and under (new or used).

Some specific ones that I've considered are the Denon D2000, Beyer DT880, AKG k701, and Sennheiser HD650. Any help is appreciated!

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 5
If it helps my birthday is Oct. 8th and I'm getting a used pair of DT880's (the '06 250 ohm version). I've been researching a lot and they are supposedly very dynamic headphones and have a bright (very up-front and precise) presentation while still preserving great mids and an involving low end. (This is not from first hand experience though as I haven't bought them yet but more from long hours of painstaking research)

The 701 is supposed to have a HUGE soundstage but a lot of people have complained about their "sitting in the stands" approach to sound. You'll feel like your farther from the music as opposed to being on stage or in the front row.

The HD650's need, from what I've heard, a higher-end amp to deliver their best. So your likely to have to buy one if you plan on buying these.

Oh and Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet
rs1smile.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 5
AKG K601 with an amp as expensive as your remaining budget will go. It had to be said
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back