Help!! IPod Classic with LOD or Cowon D2?
Feb 1, 2009 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Zune 30. It was great! But I guess I dropped it way too many times during jogging, and now the hard-drive is messed up. Many tracks in my zune will have music cut out while it keeps playing... and I have a feeling that the zune is about to die soon.

So now I am considering two options. Ipod Classic with LOD or Cowon D2? I really enjoyed the Zune's HPO as it's very clean and it sounds good when I just plug my amp in there. So comparing the D2's HPO and Ipod Classic's LOD which player will get me cleaner signal?

Please let me know what you guys think! Thanx in advance!

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't have any experience with the Cowon player, but I'm just making sure you know that if you plan to use an LOD with the iPod, you need an amp to go with it.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 16
go for Classic
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 16
If you use a LOD with the ipod, you are going to have to buy an amp so it might turn expensive very quickly.

You can get a cheap amp (Fiio) but if you are gonna do that, then I would say to just get the Cowon.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 16
I didn't like the sound of my classic 160 enough that I sold it because of it. Admittedly never tried LOD, and I haven't heard the D2 either. I say get something more tough, maybe an 8gb fuze with 8gb card?

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanx for all of your inputs! I am leaning towards D2 Anyways! I read somewhere the D2 works better without amping is that true?? Moocher is right, if I drop my player alot maybe it makes more sense for me to stay away from HDs. I dunno... still trying to decide between the two.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Go for D2, yeah!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx for all of your inputs! I am leaning towards D2 Anyways! I read somewhere the D2 works better without amping is that true?? Moocher is right, if I drop my player alot maybe it makes more sense for me to stay away from HDs. I dunno... still trying to decide between the two.

If you drop things a lot, then go for a flash player, no doubt. If you ever dropped the iPod, and the hard drive was in th emiddle of doing something...bye-bye iPod.

Also, something tells me the D2 doesn't have the equivalent of a line-out dock like the iPod. Amping the headphone out of anything is pretty much a waste of money.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 16
ofcourse ipod with lod or without lod! you can rip all your cds into apple lossless (assuming you are not listening to lossy s***...are you?) and you also get 120 gb of space.
i used the d2 before i got the ipod,and its also great player . than i got the ipod for its line out option and its changed my sound completely.
now i use a cd player>dac>amp rig so its not releavant. but i prefer the ipod for portable use in any case... sounds better than the d2 imo.(in flat mode ofcourse).

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a Cowon D2 and yes, you don't need an amp to enjoy its sound, unless you have seriously demanding cans. It has plenty of power. As for dropping it a lot I don't know. It's very sturdy and well built, but since the screen is used to navigate through the menus, I'm afraid that breaking it may render the player useless, or make it a hassle to control. Just something to think about.

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 16
both are good players but both are different completely. cowon uses open source codec which some like and apple uses industry standards which others like.

as far as sound though: it is up to you. i had the cowon d2 and did not like it but then, i listen to trance and it was just too congested for that. if you are a rock fan or classic or jazz it might be fine. otherwise, you could amp it to get better sound from it as it has a small stage and weak bass output.

the ipod has more hiss but better stage and bass performance. the cowon can perform rather well with an amp but still will not bring its stage up to par even with unamped ipod.

both good players but if you will drop it, go for the flash cowon. battery life in practice is about the same with both

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 16
If you tend to drop your DAP often you may want to consider this abuse-friendly player....

ToughPlayer

Proprietary audio format but will save you money in the long run.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 16
In general and of course IMHO I find the Itunes to be a bit too analytical over Windows based mp3 players.
I have a 60bg,and80gb, 5th gen video and three shuffles. So i'm on the Apple cart for my portables but at home on my PC I always default to WMP or WinAmp

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 16
Alrite,

Thanx guys. So what happened is that I ordered a 120g Zune. HAHA! WELL,.. the thing is I enjoyed the 30g version and I actually dropped it a few times on the concrete ground while jogging before the hard drive failed. Anyways,.. I will report back with the new zune. I am excited as many fellow head-fiers confirmed that the sq is better with the new zune!!!

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back