help, i'm having a really weird issue
Apr 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EdipisReks

Banned
ok, this is a bit of a stumper. i first noticed this when i was using my sony SCD-C555Es feeding a dialogue II, and i just chalked it up to the dialogue II acting up. often times when i sat down one on the floor in front of my rig to listen and the stood up the dialogue II would lose its lock for a fraction of a second. this would only happen with my recabled HP-2s. my SR-80s and Etymotics never caused this to happen.

fast forward to now, and i'm noticing the same issue with my CD-25 and North Star. since i now know it isn't some quirk with the DAC, i've tried to systematically find out what was happening. at first i thought that the floor might be flexing when i stand up, causing my cd player to skip. that isn't the problem, as i can jump up and down with no skipping.

next i thought it might be power related, so i tried setting up my system straight from the wall, through a UPS and then back on my brickwall, but nothign helped. changing interconnect and power cables did nothing. rearranging the physical set up did nothing.

i can only think of two possible issues. the first is some kind of intermittent short in my HP-2's cable, but i've never had a cut out. strangely, i can't move the cable in a way to make the issue happen with my hand. it only happens when i sit down and then stand up. it also only happens when i have the headphones actually on my head, if i hold them in my hand the DAC never loses lock when i do the sit down/stand up routine. i'm very much doubting it's the wire.

the only other thing i can think of is that the nylon multifilament on the cable is picking up static electricity. my other headphones don't have the multifilament wrap. i don't feel any kind of static charge. would it be possible for static to cause this kind of problem? i can't imagine a charge going through my headphone cable through the amp and all the way to the DAC, but i'm not a electrical engineer. my room is pretty staticy in the winter, but the humidity now that its warmer isn't particularly low. thanks for any help you can offer!

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Perhaps a change in tension in the cable is responsible?
Try reproducing it by holding the cable about a foot from the jack and moving it around.

This is the only thing I can think of that meets the description.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 5
wow...i get the same thing with my HF-1 (so far i havn't figured out what's going on yet).

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai Miller
Perhaps a change in tension in the cable is responsible?
Try reproducing it by holding the cable about a foot from the jack and moving it around.

This is the only thing I can think of that meets the description.

it doesn't help. it happens whether i'm hoping the cable slack or taut. thanks, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
wow...i get the same thing with my HF-1 (so far i havn't figured out what's going on yet).

are you using a DAC?

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 5
no, the problem is from my dap (but i'm sure it's not the dap since it doesn't do that with any of my other headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back