Help - I need a WebTV replacement for an elderly woman
Jul 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

billybob_jcv

Headphoneus Supremus
Microsoft recently announced they are finally ending the MSN TV (formerly Web TV) service on September 30, 2013. My mother (85 years old) has been using WebTV on dial-up for many, many years. She lives out in the boondocks and she cannot get broadband (DSL or cable). The only thing she uses on the internet is email - she doesn't web browse at all. She has a laptop (~4 year old Lenovo w/ WinXP & WiFi), but it does not currently access the internet - she only uses it to play simple Windows games.

I'm thinking of getting her a 4G MiFi box from Verizon or AT&T and using that with the laptop's WiFi. My concern is that if she forgets to disconnect from the 4G network, she could possibly get hit with a large data charge. I don't know if the MiFi box can be set to disconnect after an inactivity timeout? I could also use a 4G USB stick with the laptop, and since she usually powers down the laptop when she is not using it, the timeout issue is much less of a concern. However, I've used a lot of finicky 3G/4G USB sticks - the USB connectors can get loose and/or flaky and they are fairly fragile devices.

Any other low-cost ideas? There's no way she can swing the cost of a Hughesnet sat dish or the monthly cost of an unlimited 4G data plan. The solution has to have low start-up costs and no more than $40/month in ongoing fees.

As cr@ppy and antiquated as the WebTV is, it actually worked very well for this single purpose. It has a wireless keyboard and it is connected to a 46" LCD TV, so the text is nice and big. It allowed her to get email for the last 10+ years, and I rarely had to provide ANY tech support - and if you have ever tried to introduce new technology to an elderly person, you know what an incredibly rare situation that is!!

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Hmm, I might have found an answer to one of my concerns. This is from the user manual of the Sprint Sierra Wireless MiFi device:

If the Connection is “Always On,” Am I Always Being Billed?
No. The connection to the network goes dormant after a period of inactivity, but the connection can
be re-established faster than having to reconnect. Billing occurs only when data is passed across the
network

OK - that's good to know, so as long as she remembers to shutdown the laptop, then she should not incur any charges.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Set the laptop to sleep or hibernate after a time and she won't have to remember.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back