Help guys I messed up my sr325i's cup!
Dec 29, 2008 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I was trying to do the dynamax mod, and instead of using a blow dryer I actually used a heat gun! (400 degree)
frown.gif
That I hope didn't ruin the drivers. I tried it without the cup and it sounds well,.. okay.

Now here is the actual problem: I tried to remove the screen of the cup, but did not notice the plastic ring around the inner cup close to the screen. So after taking the cups apart, I was heating the screen to try to remove them and I accidentally melted the rings inside the cup. Is that a big deal? Can I still reinstall the drivers into the cups? Will it make a big difference in the sound? I am not sure.
confused_face(1).gif

If I did indeed messed up the cup by melting the plastic ring inside, I am thinking about just getting a pair of wood cups from headcoverage. What do guys think? should I just reinstall the original aluminum cups or get a woody?

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 12
how could you mistake a heat gun for a hair dryer!?

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Oh man. You must be as clumsy as me. I do stuff like that too.
I got a new amp today for my dt150 but last week i cut the cable and i could not get i back in order so now im waiting for a new cable before i can test the amp with the HPs. stupid thin cable.(sorry for posting this in your thread but i had to get it out).
If i was you and want some wood anyway it seems to be a good time to do it. I have black ebony cups in order to my 225s. Hope you get em working again.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi Guys,

I am thinking it was not that bad. I was actually quite careful when I initially removed the cups. It was after the removal of the cups and I am just trying to do remove the screens that I turned up the heat gun setting and melted the plastic. I tested my SR325i divers again today and it sounds fine. Now it's just the matter of gettin a pair of wood cups or not. So far, I am still waiting for the replies from woodcoverage.com. Later on today I will go to a local shop here and ask if they have a spare plastic ring for the cup.

The question is, do you think the plastic ring is essential for installing the cup back??? Thanx for your replies guys!!

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Heat guns can indeed be used delicately as in this case. I use one all the time at work to remove vinyl graphics. If I don't hold the gun over a spot long enough it won't come off, if I hover it over too long it'll shrivel and melt and make a mess.
biggrin.gif

@ liztian: good luck with whatever you're trying. I'd never even contemplate making a cyborg of my 325is.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanx Moogoob! I went to the local dealer and have them order an extra plastic ring to place inside the gold cup. I am still waiting for a reply from headcoverage. I thought now is the best time to upgrade to woodies but since they have not responded yet, and many mentioned that they are out of business, I am not very hopeful at this point.

Anyways,.. thanx for the replies and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 12
I hope you get your 325i back in perfect working order. When I did a mod to mine I was scared to use hot air so I opted for the slower hot water method instead to soften the hot glue.

I have one of these Leister hot air guns that I use for PVC welding.

It goes to 1,300 degrees Fahrenheit!

lei0067584_k.jpg

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Good thing you did not blow-dry your hair!
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing you did not blow-dry your hair!
tongue.gif

Funny story about a freind of mine... actually, only funny for me. Minor scalp burns because he though a heat gun would dry his hair faster were not all that funny to him.

tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 12
I second this!
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you do nothing more to "improve" your phones. Pack them up and send them to Grado with a note asking to restore them to their original condition.
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny story about a freind of mine... actually, only funny for me. Minor scalp burns because he though a heat gun would dry his hair faster were not all that funny to him.

tongue.gif

He he

Users who are viewing this thread

Back