Help from people with experience on 497/210/sr60
Jan 5, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 25
Well it's certainly reassuring to know that the plastic headband of the 497 is durable; I thought that fragility might be an issue. As for the comfort, only time will tell. I want a spaceship too.

Jan 5, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 25
The headband is durable, but do not disconnect the detachable connectors on the earpieces as they are made very poorly (the sockets) and can be very troublesome (cutouts, etc.). The HD212 has a nice sound, but is constructed just like the HD497. The PX100's are supraaural mini headphones that I've been told by Todd of Headroom have a slightly inferior sound to the HD497 but are much more versatile (foldable headband, non-detachable cord) and are more of a competitor with the Koss Porta Pro series. If you decide to go with the 497's you might want to go with the 477's, they almost identical sounding and much more comfortable, velvet instead of cheap pleather ear pads, and are more suited to Rock/Urban music.

Jan 5, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #18 of 25
I can't speak for the HD497 or the PX100, but I think that the HD212 are the worst headphones over 20 UK pounds that I've ever come across. And 90% of the phones I've had fall into that category. A fizzy cheap treble, and far too much bass. A terrible combination. Comfort wise, they weren't bad, better than Grados, although if you do find them constricting some careful coaxing is required of the one piece plastic headband. But mainly just fitting the headband close to your head reduces the leverage and reduces the pressing (common sense really) feeling.
Although I still didn't like them that much, the PX200 sounded a lot better.
Grados. The SR60 is functionally impractical for portable use. The SR60 is not durable, it's fully open, it doesn't work very well with low-power sources...Over-bright from most portable sources and can't develop anywhere near a decent low end. Up the volume to compensate for the slightest ambient noise and the SR60 will clip from a portable, as well as annoy anyone near you. Personally, I don't believe the words 'Grado' and 'Portable' have anything to do with each other. It makes my jaw drop to see magazines heartily recommend them for that very use.
I would say the PX200 is the best phone out of what you've listed for portable use. They're practical, surprisingly well closed, quite stylish, very portable and it's not as bad as the HD212.

Jan 6, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #19 of 25
I should have said comparatively nice sound to the V6, if you like boomy headphones. I'm of the type that's been spoiled by a outrageously good pair of headphones for $99 and thinks all other headphones under $100 are utter crap, but I was comparing crap with crap, instead of comparing it with more expensive headphones, assuming he was looking in the $50-60 price range. The HD497 is grainy, the SR-60 is constricted in headstage, and I don't know about the PX100/200. But those are mini headphones, not over the ear, so don't expect the feel of a circumaural model. The HD497 is uncomfortable due to no padding on the driver where it presses against your ear, only a coarse fabric exists between the driver and your ear. I would suggest deciding on whether you want a closed or open headphone (how much headstage and isolation you want) and decide if comfort is important to you or not. And decide whether or not you want a brighter treble and louder bass or a more mellow sound. That will help you decide between the PX100/200 and the HD497/HD212. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #20 of 25
Just like others that have posted, I had to return my 497's because of the drivers pressing against the cartlidge on my ears causing it to be uncomfortable after only 30 minutes or so. The sound is somewhat dull and doesn't have much snap, even when driven by a headphone amp. If you like very dyanmic cans, they won't be for you- however, if you hate bright sounding cans or are ultra sensitive to highs, these are OK because of their dullness. Overall, they are fairly musical and if I could have withstood the pain, I would have kept them.

Jan 6, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #21 of 25
I suppose buying headphones is a perfect example of the old adage, "Try to please everyone and you end up pleasing none at all." Who can know the reasons for people's preferences? Brand loyalty? Price? Hype? Type of music? From what I read, it appears to be impossible to reach a consensus on the best "cans." Part of it is taste, but I think part of it is also that at this level, you're talking about only the minutest of distinctions, which 'audiophiles' deem as horrendous deficiencies or the height of perfection. All I know is that I dont have the time or stamina to waste wading through dozens of recommendations because every time I decide on a headphone, there are always the two or three who have found its fatal flaws. This is nothing against those people who have graciously responded to my query; and for those people who make aural quality one of their foremost concerns, these finer distinctions are important. You are all like connoseuirs of fine wines, except with headphones. As for me, who lacks the golden ear that many of you probably posses, I find that this eventually proves to be an excercise in futility. One man's garbage is another man's gold as evidenced by the profusion of rave reviews on Amazon.com for cheapo headphones. I can only hope that my already ordered 497s will fit the bill and provide an enjoyable listening experience for now.
*end rant*

I hope I didn't come of as angry. That was just the product of frustration at being told that headphones I've already ordered on the basis of glowing recommendations are now deficient, second rate, and not recommended. Oh well, I hope noone is offended.
smily_headphones1.gif
Again, thank you all for your suggestions and I'll let you know whether I'm satisfied.

BTW, are the self-christened "headphone geeks" at headphone.com wrong in their hearty recommendation of the HD-497s, the headphones that "bring good sound to the masses"? Or do they just have different tastes?

Jan 6, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #23 of 25
I think I speak for a lot of others hear when I say that my taste in headphones has definitely changed and developed over time. A year ago I was perfectly happy listening to cheapos and now I find myself nitpicking alot (actually more than I would like) because somehow my antennae are sharper. It seems to me to be an open-ended (perhaps endless) process that you should pursue as far as you care to, and no further.

I think a lot of others would also agree that there are a few moderately priced cans that are particularly good value for money and that offer a MAJOR improvement over cheapos or other moderately priced cans. The Senn 497s are definitely among those. If, however, you find that they don't suit you for whatever reason (comfort, tonal balance, garish silver headband) then there are some other options you might consider. Otherwise, enjoy!!

Jan 6, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #24 of 25
ramiman,

It seems like most people are complaining about the HD 497's comfort, but I've tried several headphones in the same price range and found the HD 497's to be the most comfortable and one of the best sounding. I can wear them for several hours without much fatigue. I guess everyone's head and ears are shaped differently, so comfort is a very individual thing. I would guess, on average, most people would find the HD 497's more comfortable than the Grado SR60's. I have a large head (I usually need to have the ear pieces fully extended), so I find a lot of headbands uncomfortable.

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back