Help for a buddy? SRH840s v. ATH M50s
Dec 14, 2010 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

R-Audiohead

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read a lot about the ATH M50s here on head-fi, and they seem to be a favorite around here.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the SRH840s?  I've been helping a friend pick out a new set of closed cans for ~150 and those are the two we've got it narrowed to atm.

He will use them as multipurpose phones, both in home for movies/gaming and for portable use - so the ohm load needs to be favorable (in case you have other recommendations).

He listens mainly to rock/reggae with some rap/hip hop.
Sources will include iPod and line out PC - again emphasis on the ohm load (does not plan on amping any time soon, although I think he should hold out for FiiO's new e11)

Thoughts? and thanks!

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 36
Both do not need amping. Both are studio oriented, close backed and portable.

Their key difference is their sound signatures. I find the shures more flat than the m50s, the latter having nice shrill highs.

If I were your friend, I would get the m50s, but that's my opinion (I've always disliked the Shures). Best to get your friend down to a hi-fi shop and try both out.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 36

Quote:
Both do not need amping. Both are studio oriented, close backed and portable.

Their key difference is their sound signatures. I find the shures more flat than the m50s, the latter having nice shrill highs.

If I were your friend, I would get the m50s, but that's my opinion (I've always disliked the Shures). Best to get your friend down to a hi-fi shop and try both out.

That was my opinion, too, but unlike you I prefer the Shures to the M50s :p however the weight of the Shure headband meant the top of my head would start hurting after only 10 minutes with the headphone on, which was absolutely unacceptable.
To elaborate a little on what my impressions were - the M50s had more impactful but someewhat boomy bass and slightly steely/shrilly highs, whereas the SRH-840 was "raspier" (less smooth) across the entire frequency range but much more balanced and extended in both directions, and detailed (especially at the top end). These are impressions after about half an hour with each at Guitar Center, running into my CMoy - so definitely not be-all-end-all.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 36
In my case, i prefer using the Shures as portables. The good point about the M50's is the deep bass, if your friend loves bass...he will love them. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 36
I would give the edge to the Shure, although with these two, neither is a wrong choice.  He will be more than happy with both, the trick is not to have buyer's remorse and wonder what you could have had with the other side.  That's how people here build up ridiculous collections.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 36

Quote:
I would give the edge to the Shure, although with these two, neither is a wrong choice.  He will be more than happy with both, the trick is not to have buyer's remorse and wonder what you could have had with the other side.  That's how people here build up ridiculous collections.

I agree, what I learned, from my buying experience, is that most aren't really better than another by that much of a large margin, if any, when comparing two headphones like this. Yeah they do better at one area, but also does worst at another.  The real difference is the overall sound signature and matching that up to you liking is the hard part and the rest are more comfort, looks, size etc.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 36
If you want a lot of bass and that's important, get the M50.
SRH-840 if you still want a decent amount of bass without sacrificing anything else and don't mind carrying a brick on your head.
SRH-840 will have the most balanced sound signature. I've had them both. Unfortunately I couldn't deal with the pain of the 840, so I switched to the M50 and was never impressed with them.
My black boxed version had bloated, uncontrolled bass and slightly recessed mids. Vocals were a tad distant. Strangely my pair didn't have the piercing treble some say the white box version does!
I later ended up with the Koss Pro DJ100 and now prefer that and the KRK KNS-8400 to both of them. After hearing both of these, they now make the 840 almost sound as laid back as the HD-600..weird.
I can now fully understand why some people won't like the SRH-840's sound signature. I still like them though, but the design is terrible. There is NO reason they need to be so large.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 36
Thanks a bunch guys.  Sent it off to my buddy to look it over so we can discuss it.  Anyone else have any additional input?  Maybe some other models?

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 36
Well these two are pretty much the performance kings at the <200 price point. If he wants closed cans, u might want to look at the HD580 or the Grado 125. They are better for classical and rock respectively.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 36
Does anyone have any experience w/ the AT model - ATH-PRO700 SV?  They have a lower impedance than the aforementioned two and claim to have awesome isolation... which are both needs for my buddy.  Awesome price find (~110)

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience w/ the AT model - ATH-PRO700 SV?  They have a lower impedance than the aforementioned two and claim to have awesome isolation... which are both needs for my buddy.  Awesome price find (~110)

i haven't heard the SV, but I have tried the PRO700. they are more akin to the K518DJs, but they sound weird to me. it sounds like the mids are being fed through a horn of some sort. That, or they don't seal my ears properly. (the earpads aren't thick enough for me.)
if i were to pick between the PRO700 and the K518DJs, i'd pick the latter. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 36
pro700 is more aggresive than the M50

but the M50 is better in almost every way tho..

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 36
Interesting.  So the M50 or SRH 840 is still favored over the PRO700... Thanks all!  Keep it up if you wish!

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 36
Not sure how much time you have until your friend wants to purchase his phones, but I should be getting my m50 tomorrow and I'll post my reactions here for you.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back