Help fixing B22
Nov 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Abbadon

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
To make a long story short, some damage occurred to a b22 that I sold internationally during shipping. I know absolutely nothing about fixing it up, but from the pics he sent me I'm guessing it should be a relatively easy fix. Is there anyone with experience with b22s(it's a 2channel board) in the area of quincy MA (or anyone in general) who would be able to help him fix it (either in person or by talking him through it?). I would be grateful for the help, as the situation is starting to turn sour.

Here's some pics of what's happening:

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 8
So, somebody goes out of their way by sending you the payment as a gift so that you may avoid the fees..then you ship the amp with no insurance to again save more money..the amp arrives damaged which very well could have resulted from your packing job..and you refuse to give the guy a refund? 

That's just ridiculous. 

Sure, maybe it was his fault for sending the payment as a gift..for having faith that you would be an upstanding seller as we have many on these forums. But don't you feel bad at all?

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 8
First, remove C14 from the board until a suitable replacement can be found.  It is not critical to the operation of the board.  You just want to make sure that the cap doesn't swing around and short something else.
The replacement for C14 should be a 1uF MKP capacitor but any 1uF film cap rated for 50v and up will suffice.  It's just for supply filtering so exact choice isn't too crucial.

Secondly, desolder the wires for the LED from the board.  Again, the LED isn't crucial to board operation.  Alternatively, look at the edge of the board right above the 'B22' marking.  The LED is soldered there.  Clean up the unconnected pad (with part of the broken wire in it) then strip a short length of wire from the LED wire that came loose and resolder to that pad.

The most important part is to make sure the ground wire is soldered back in place.  There are 2 locations on the board for the ground wire.  Soldering to the ground pad on either of these 2 locations will work but the wire is probably only long enough to reach the nearest one.  From your pictures, it looks as if the ground wire is dislodged from the left channel board rather than the right channel board.

Last but not least, it seems that the supply wires are soldered from the bottom of the board.  Verify that the wires are not dislodged or shorted.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 8
You should refund his money. I was ripped off just under $2000 by a member claiming to know how to build a DAC amp. Best to buy amps like this retail off professionals you know are honest.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 8
+1 on giving the buyer of a bunk amp a full refund.  The OP is the one who should be dealing with the repair.  This deal stinks all the way around -- just one more example of how agreeing to gift PP is a lousy idea, especially with so many people who are anxious to weasel out of their responsibilities!

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 8
That's a lot of damage just from shipping.  Really?  

I'm with Pars on this one.  That seems the right thing to do .  

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 8
I think I saw that the buyer listed it on the for sale section here, so obviously OP did not refund the money and fix it. It should be a pretty good bargain for someone looking to get a B22 on the cheap if someone hasn't picked it up yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back