Help finding closed headphones with good sound stage for Metal music...
Apr 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bloodflowerz

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings all

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones with a good sound stage for my Metal music. For me, sound stage is far more important than bass.

I tried a pair of Audio Technica ATH-CM700 ear buds and I was blown away by their sound stage. My Metal music never sounded so good. However, being ear buds I do not get a good seal so I require equivalent headphones.  I currently use the HD 25-1 II and I am ever so disappointed by their non-existent sound stage. The exact same can be said about the Beyer DTX 100 in ear monitors which I also own but do not stay put in my ear and are uncomfortable to wear in my ear. I have the Grado 325i (which I am selling) too and despite their excellence I find them too heavy for portable use. Basically, having tried the  ATH-CM700 I realised that sound stage is what my Metal music is lacking. Please may I have recommendations for a possible closed headphone equivalent please? I'm currently considering the Ultrasone 780 after some research this morning.

Here are my requirements: 

-Closed headphone
-portable (not too big that I look silly outdoors)
-great sound stage
-for Metal, Death metal, Metalcore, Electro Goth i.e. The Agonist, Light This City, The Birthday Massacre
-don't make me sweat
-not fatiguing / not harsh
-no more than £250 / $400

Considerations:

-Ultrasone 780

Kind Regards,

-Bloodflowerz

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Ultrasone Pro900(wide soundstage), Klipsch Image ONE, DT770 and HFI780.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Typically if you're really into sound stage then you want to look at open hp's. I would suggest the beyer dt990 as an open choice. If you must have closed then the dt770 as mentioned earlier is a good choice.

GL!!

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 5
you could get the ATH-CM700 you like made into a kind of custom?

same sound better seal, lots of companies do something like this now days

http://www.earsound.com/headphones_attach.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back