Help! Essense STX vs HRT Music Streamer II vs Audinst HUD-mx1
Jun 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gryph0n

New Head-Fier
I am currently using an Asus Xonar DX on my PC for my audio listening. I'm using the soundcard with 2 outputs:
Usher S-520 speakers driven by a Topping T20 Amp, and an ATH AD-700 can.

I'm looking to upgrade my source to something better than the Xonar DX, to drive the same outputs (speakers and can). The choices available to me locally are:

1.>Asus Essense STX soundcard @ ~$200 (New)
2.>HRT Music Streamer II @ $175 (Lightly Used)
3.>Audinst HUD-mx1 @ $175 (Lightly Used)

In terms of pricing, all 3 are equivalent to me.

I'm not really interested in the headphone amp functionality. The AD700 isnt very hard to drive, and I can procure an amp, if really needed, some months later. Portability too isnt really a factor since i'll be using these to listen at my desk.

I'm looking to get the best audio quality between the 3. I want the equipment to be as transparent as possible. My audio philosophy is that if I need coloration, I can add it via equalizing/dsp effects in software, rather than in the playback equipment.

I am aware that Headphonia has rated the HRT MSII higher than the Audinst MX1 in terms of sound quality, but just wondering if any others have any other opinions.

Also, wondering how these 2 fare against the Essense STX. My gut feeling is that Essense STX would beat the MSII & MX1, but I'm not able to audition all 3 together at a neutral venue. So looking for suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back