Help choosing the right DAC
Aug 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

InASOT

New Head-Fier
Hi I am new to posting on this site but I have been on it so many times :)

I need help in choosing the best desktop DAC/Amp combo or separate DAC and amp for my MacBook Pro . I will also be using the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and the Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear) . My budget for the desktop DAC and amp is £200.

Then I want to buy a portable DAC/amp combo that I can use with my Sony Xperia Z1, my IPod touch (5th generation) and Ipad 4. My budget for the portable DAC is £100.

I have looked at a few DAC's already:
DragonFly v1.2 - heard a lot about it. Can I use it with my phones?
O2 + ODAC - would like to know more
Schiit Modi/Magni combo - how does this stack up against the O2+ODAC
Cambridge DacMagic XS - how does it fair against Fiio E07k/ E17 and the DragonFly?
Fiio E07k/ E17 - heard a lot about Fiio but I worry about stuff like build quality.
HRT microSteamer - don't know much about it but I have seen it around.

My music taste is very diverse, I will listen to just about anything (apart from death metal :D). I listen to EDM mostly, in particular trance.

Any recommendations? I would love any help whatsoever.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 14
I need help in choosing the best desktop DAC/Amp combo or separate DAC and amp for my MacBook Pro . I will also be using the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and the Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear) . My budget for the desktop DAC and amp is £200.

Then I want to buy a portable DAC/amp combo that I can use with my Sony Xperia Z1, my IPod touch (5th generation) and Ipad 4. My budget for the portable DAC is £100.

Does it need to be two separate units? Why not use the Ibasso D42 Mamba*? It works with Androids, has enough power as a desktop unit, runs off a battery too so it doesn't need any power off the Android. I'm not sure how to get that to work with the Touch, but AFAIK iOS enabled USB audio for the iPhone and removed the power restrictions put in place by iOS6.3.1, although even if you could the adapters (USB CCK+Lightning adapter) it can get a bit messy. Well, same thing with the Sony Android (most of them have doors over the slot), so either way you really won't be able to use them on the go without the constant threat of dislodging a cable or breaking off a tiny door. As a transportable desktop system though it should work fine.

Here's my transportable setup using the $99 Ibasso D-Zero. It's not specifically Android compatible but it works with the Samsungs that have USB audio natively; haven't tried if other phones that need UAPP or rooting would work. The D42 on the other hand was specifically designed to be Android compatible, although keep in mind to check its thread for what devices are known to be so given the wide variety of manufacturers using Android plus carrier modifications (ex. the T-Mobile Note doesn't work with USB Audio at all, but the Verizon version works with UAPP I think).

*As in take that model to mean D4v2 (D4, version 2) - just in case you buy used, make sure it's not the older version)

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 14
Does it need to be two separate units?
I should have included that it would be a bonus if I could get a DAC that I can connect to my desktop and handheld devices.
I might have to see if it works with the touch. I agree it will get messy, but I could use Bluelounge CableClip, a friend has one and it is perfect for keeping the wires neat.
I havre root my Xperia Z1 (rid off sony bloatware and stupid apps) if that does help.
Yeah the tiny doors of the Sony might break off but so far they are like tank armour, I have twisted them and bent them far back at times and they have not broken.. Yet. But yeah there is the threat of the cable. I still have my S2 if that works haha
We don't have Verizon in UK which is stupid because even India has it.

How does the Ibasso D42 sound? How are highs,mids and lows. I would like it if the lows were powerful but not too overpowering so I could listen to beautiful mids (for female vocals in trance) and the nice highs which I think is a must for the late 90's trance.

Thanks for the help.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 14

Hi I am new to posting on this site but I have been on it so many times 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have looked at a few DAC's already:
DragonFly v1.2 - heard a lot about it. Can I use it with my phones?
O2 + ODAC - would like to know more
Schiit Modi/Magni combo - how does this stack up against the O2+ODAC
Cambridge DacMagic XS - how does it fair against Fiio E07k/ E17 and the DragonFly?
Fiio E07k/ E17 - heard a lot about Fiio but I worry about stuff like build quality.
HRT microSteamer - don't know much about it but I have seen it around.

My music taste is very diverse, I will listen to just about anything (apart from death metal 
biggrin.gif
). I listen to EDM mostly, in particular trance.

Any recommendations? I would love any help whatsoever.

For desktop units, Audio gd NFB-15 looks within your budget and Audio gd NFB-11 slightly above

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Both your cans are v easily powered by portable dac/amps....
Just concentrate on Gettg that first...u should be happy with the sound.

Although I would love someone to get an audioGd for further upgrades. :wink:

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 14
I should have included that it would be a bonus if I could get a DAC that I can connect to my desktop and handheld devices.
I might have to see if it works with the touch. I agree it will get messy, but I could use Bluelounge CableClip, a friend has one and it is perfect for keeping the wires neat.

When I described the mess I didn't just mean long cables, I mean one relatively large adapter hooked up to another relatively large adapter where the USB cable hooks up. The thing with iDevices is that it's either a DAC designed for iDevices and as portables go they come with a short version of the sync cable, like the Fostex and ALO units; or you'll have to use the Camera Connection Kit. Apple devices still need the chip that enables USB audio (as on the iDACs), which aside from not being originally intended as such also happened to be on the CCK USB adapter. All iOS7 did was disable iOS6.3.1's overly zealous "too much power" protection that rendered too many DACs obsolete, including mine, which only needed enough current through USB to light up the input indicator (which it can run without; all other parts on the DAC daughterboard get their power from the PSU. Last I checked however the iDevices using DACs not specifically designed for Apple devices had to use the 30-pin CCK, then use the Lightning to 30-pin adapters - that's two white boxes before you even get to the USB cable. If you're using this as a transportable desktop it won't be a problem, particularly if you get a dock, but if you're planning to use the whole system on the go I'd strongly advise against it.

Here's my iPad2 - the 30-pin CCK is hooked up to the 30-pin port on the back of the dock.

As for Android, there's at least one cable manufacturer that does short OTG cables for Android, but IIRC it's around $70. The D42 comes with one for free.

How does the Ibasso D42 sound? How are highs,mids and lows. I would like it if the lows were powerful but not too overpowering so I could listen to beautiful mids (for female vocals in trance) and the nice highs which I think is a must for the late 90's trance.

I haven't spent a lot of time listening on it, barely five minutes before I got distracted by something else at a meet (I think the smokers marched outside or something and I joined them). I only suggested it because it was designed for Android, and probably will run with an iOS Device with the CCK. IIRC, those descriptions can fit the original D4 (which I've listened to), so it's likely they still apply now. In any case, as far as 5min first impressions go, the D42 seems to fit those descriptors.

Here's a few reviews on it though, you'd get clearer ideas for it reading these:
http://headfonics.com/2013/07/the-d42-mamba-by-ibasso/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666556/new-ibasso-d42-mamba

Yeah the tiny doors of the Sony might break off but so far they are like tank armour, I have twisted them and bent them far back at times and they have not broken.. 

Try the thread below - check the latest page number that is a multiple of 5 (ends in 5 or 0). DanBa posts a link to the updated Google doc listing Android device and DACs that are known to work. If your Xperia and D42 aren't specifically listed, just ask in there and the D42 thread in case anyone has tried them together to be sure. There's a possibility that someone could have tried it, but given the D42 was already designed for Android, didn't update on the Android DACs thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

I still have my S2 if that works haha

Check that thread to be sure, but AFAIK, it doesn't.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 14
Yeah with so many adapters and a dac attached to iPod touch or iphone it would not fit in my pocket even if I wrap it up together. For home though it would be perfect to use with the Ipad and my Mac.
I guess I should get a dac that works with my android phone for on the go, in this case I can use d42 here aswell.
According to a user, bass is light but this doesn't matter much as I have my German made sennheiser for the bass :) other than that it sounds nice and clean.
All I need to do is check if its compatible with my Xperia Z1.

Have you tried the Schiit Magni/Modi?

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 14
According to a user, bass is light but this doesn't matter much as I have my German made sennheiser for the bass :) 

When I used the original D4 with my HD600 and its worn earpads, the added bass was noticeable - even overbearing and loose - compared to my Cantate.2. Of course, I haven't tried your headphones with worn earpads, but it's something to look out for if at any point you think the bass is a bit too much.

Have you tried the Schiit Magni/Modi?

Sorry, I haven't. I've been too happy with my Cantate.2, although I have been looking into getting the Modi as it matches the aesthetics (silver aluminum chassis) of my current amp. However I'm still waiting on whether the Wyrd can help my Android supply power to it, as I plan on putting my S3's dock on top of it and overall it wouldn't feel like there's an additional component on my small table.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 14
When I used the original D4 with my HD600 and its worn earpads, the added bass was noticeable - even overbearing and loose - compared to my Cantate.2. Of course, I haven't tried your headphones with worn earpads, but it's something to look out for if at any point you think the bass is a bit too much.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll ask around or see if I can find any more info on it with my headphones.

That is a nice idea you have there. The Schiit products are just wonderful to look at, would go sweet with my MacBook Pro. Let me know when you find out if your android can, but does it actually help with the cleanup of glitches or is it just a marketing ploy.

I see you have a custom pc build in one of your pictures :)
I might be building a custom pc but I am unsure on whether to get a cooler master HAF X or the storm Stryker/ storm trooper. I will be using a water cooling system.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 14
That is a nice idea you have there. The Schiit products are just wonderful to look at, would go sweet with my MacBook Pro. Let me know when you find out if your android can, but does it actually help with the cleanup of glitches or is it just a marketing ploy.

Actually even Schiit disavows any improvements aside from fixing obvious USB power problems that some cheap motherboards and some laptops have. For a lot of other people who would spend $50 more on a red motherboard, that should solve the issues for half the price - gaming motherboards now come with dedicated USB ports for audio, or come with SPDIF outputs, and also decent DAC and DSP circuits. I personally prefer smartphones since they're more focused, don't need a 500w PSU with an OC'd CPU and a noisy GPU, and unlike laptops Samsung phones and others have their ports on the bottom like iOS devices that allows for using a dock. While my phone has no issues with self-powered DACs, there's the Modi that I want to try later on and it requires USB power, hence my interest in the Wyrd - all the powered hubs known to work aren'tlocally available and if they don't work after buying from Amazon, I'm potentially out a lot more cash on shipping and returns processing than just one go with the Wyrd, which is why I'm also waiting for confirmation on whether it works with Android 
tongue_smile.gif

I see you have a custom pc build in one of your pictures 
smily_headphones1.gif

I might be building a custom pc but I am unsure on whether to get a cooler master HAF X or the storm Stryker/ storm trooper. I will be using a water cooling system.

I'm using a Silverstone PS07 (I would also strongly recommend the TJ08) - I prefer cases that have the fans directly aligned with the motherboard (I removed the HDD cage and mounted mine in the ODD bays above, right across the PSU). In my next build though I'm planning on using the Bitfenix Prodigy mATX - I'll flip it upside down so the power supply naturally lets hot air in it float upwards, then the new bottom will have fans blowing air into the GPU (might use an upgraded air cooler like the Prolimatech Mk13) then use the rear exhaust as an intake (with a magnetic filter) for either a push fan on a Corsair H80i or with a tube (so it's isolated from hot air coming up from the GPU cooler) blowing into a Tuniq120 or Megahalems. Hot air from the GPU and CPU coolers will then be sucked out by the top exhaust fans (formerly the bottom). This way cool air enters from behind (CPU cooler), below (GPU cooler) and the front (PSU fan), then all the hot air goes out the top, with a high airflow 200mm fan running at 7v sucking hot air out of the chassis.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Oh ok thanks. I am looking for one but I can't really find anybody selling one in the UK.

Audio-GD? You won't find them in the UK. They are Internet direct. But I can second that the NFB-15 and NFB-11 are excellent choices. The advantages of them over the Modi/Magni are

* multiple switchable digital input options
* gain switch
* pre-amp that allows one to plug up powered speakers, speaker amp, or another headphone amp to the built in DAC
* more power. not that you would need that with your current headphones, but the headphones amps in these units will drive almost anything short of electrostatic headphones

Check out Meier Audio of Germany, well known for their headphone amps, makes some portable DAC/amps.

Used to be that you could buy an inexpensive LOD cable to use with iPads, iPhones, and iTouches to bypass the built in headphone amp. Newer models now require a lightning adapter (not sure about yours--I am not an Apple person). You should research this further before buying a dac/amp. If you need lightning adapter capability, the Beyerdyanmic A200P is a portable unit that comes with one.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back