Help choosing next Headphones, Amp and DAC
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

boredboy94

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I am new to the community. Looking for recommendations/suggestions for a new set up I'd like for headphone listening. I'll start with my current setup, what I want (or at least what I think I want) for the new setup, and I'll provide as much context as possible. Sorry for a long post but I want to be thorough! I'm all ears to your suggestions. Call me out if I'm not clear or educate me if I just don't know what I'm talking about. I'm still relatively new to the audiophile world, still learning as I go along!

Current headphones - HD 58x Jubilee, SHP9500, HD 668B (with Cosmos pads), DT990 Pro 250ohm
Current Amp/DAC - Schiit Magni Heresy and Schiit Modi 3 (had both new since May 2020)

Next headphones I'd like to get - T60RP Argons (probably looking to get these first), HD 8xx (these I'll get at some point in the future)
Next Amp - Schiit Jotunheim 2 (primary choice), Singxer SA1 (second choice)
Next DAC - Schiit Bifrost 2

General budget for Amp/DAC upgrade (not including headphones) - $1000-1400 USD

Definitely looking for a long term system. Definitely want balanced Amp and balanced DAC in the next setup.

I play video games. Mostly FPS, some strategy games (Hunt Showdown, EFT, Civ 6, etc). I mostly use the DT990 Pro for gaming. Obviously headphones, Amp and DAC that have great, open soundstage and great imaging are important for me.

For music, I don't want something overly analytical and/or dry. I can appreciate uber detail sometimes, but I mainly prefer headphones with an Amp and DAC set up that's fun, engaging, and dynamic. I like the music/sound to have a good rhythm, good musicality to it. Smooth, but not leaving out all of the detail. I listen to classic rock, indy music, alternative, metal, electronic and most 60s, 70s, 80s music. So far using the 58x as the main listening headphones but I also enjoy the 9500. Definitely want something with more punch and attack in the bass region while still having enjoyable mids and tamed, smooth highs (no piercing highs), but keeping decent/good amount of detail throughout.

For analog music, I have an old Sears Roebuck stereo system hooked up to my Amp via 2 channel RCA switch. Have a 6.3mm to RCA cable from the 6.3mm headphone out on the stereo system going into the RCA switch (DAC is in the other RCA input on the switch). So I have vinyl, cassettes and 8 tracks I listen to (mostly the cassette and vinyl, very little 8 track). It also has an AM/FM radio which I'll listen to if I want to. It's not a super low end stereo system, but definitely not hi-fi. I definitely want to integrate this stereo system into the new setup. For digital audio, it's mostly Spotify and my library of MP3s but looking to get a CD player so I can listen to CDs (and get that CD quality music).

Was looking at the Denafrips Ares II DAC but there's a 40-90 millisecond delay that apparently makes even basic video watching unbearable. Was also considering the SMSL SU-9 or similar $500-750 price range DAC but was leaning towards the Bifrost 2.

For a new Amp, I was looking at the Jotunheim 2 or Singxer SA1. Wasn't looking to get a super clean/best measurements kind of Amp based on what I prefer to hear in my music but let me know if I'm wrong on that!

I'm ultimately spinning my mental wheels here on what headphones, Amp and DAC I should by next. Feel like I just can't make a decision after endless researching. Please help me! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back