Help choosing new 'phones
Nov 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

autoteleology

Formerly known as Tus-Chan
I'm considering replacing my (while entertaining) Sony MDR XB500's for headphones that are at least a little more accurate and a lot less sibilance-prone.

- I have about $300 to spend.

- I listen to mostly electronic music, such as trance, gabber, and dubstep. However, I occasionally listen to some rock. and dabble in other genres. I want full-sized headphones that, while are excellent at EDM, can perform reasonably well with other genres without excessive EQing.

- I would prefer the headphones to be closed-back, or leak low amounts of sound.

- Comfort is a small issue, as I am rather fond of the 500's large, squishy pads, and listen to music off and on throughout the day.

- Purchasing an external amp is not an issue, as long as you have a recommendation as to what I would need (I am unfamiliar with using an amp).

- Bass is important.

I've heard good things about the Shure SRH 940's and the M50's, and have been considering jumping up to the Sony MDR XB1000's, but I really want to spend my wad on a pair of cans closest to what I need.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 6
I would go for a pair of Denon AH-D2000's.  They are easy to drive with portable devices, sound amazing, and improve drastically with better equipment ( amp/DAC ).  They are on of my favorite cans and remain on Headroom's Top 10 list for good reason.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 6
What source(s) are you plugging the cans (headphones) into?

Can wise, I really like my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cans.
Leaves you left over cash to get a decent can amplifier.
(which you need for 250-Ohm cans).

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 6
I only use a laptop for music. I currently don't own a portable music player of any kind, unless you want to count my modded DS Lite.

I've got a pretty decent-sized HP Pavillion, would that be enough to drive most headphones?

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I'm considering replacing my (while entertaining) Sony MDR XB500's for headphones that are at least a little more accurate and a lot less sibilance-prone.

- I have about $300 to spend.

- I listen to mostly electronic music, such as trance, gabber, and dubstep. However, I occasionally listen to some rock. and dabble in other genres. I want full-sized headphones that, while are excellent at EDM, can perform reasonably well with other genres without excessive EQing.

- I would prefer the headphones to be closed-back, or leak low amounts of sound.

- Comfort is a small issue, as I am rather fond of the 500's large, squishy pads, and listen to music off and on throughout the day.

- Purchasing an external amp is not an issue, as long as you have a recommendation as to what I would need (I am unfamiliar with using an amp).

- Bass is important.

I've heard good things about the Shure SRH 940's and the M50's, and have been considering jumping up to the Sony MDR XB1000's, but I really want to spend my wad on a pair of cans closest to what I need.

The Shure SRH940 will not do what you want. At all. And forget the M50's, they have no sound stage and harsh highs. XB1000's could be an option for you though.

Suggestions:

Denon D2000
Beyer DT770
Panasonic HTF600

Very best,

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I only use a laptop for music. I currently don't own a portable music player of any kind, unless you want to count my modded DS Lite.
I've got a pretty decent-sized HP Pavillion, would that be enough to drive most headphones?

Nope, With the HP Pavillion, your limited to headphones in the 32 to 65-Ohm range.
A $30 Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card would allow you to get headphone up to around 150-Ohm.
And should improve the sound of any headphone over what your HP comes with.

Heard good things about that Denon AH-D2000 NA Blur is talking about.
And would work plugged straight in the HP, but having a headphone amplifier is always nice.

Do a search on the internet for Fiio portable headphone amplifiers, if you want to travel with your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back