Help choosing between $100 IEMs
May 15, 2016 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

htcrx8

New Head-Fier
So this is my first set of decent IEMs. 

I've read quite a few comparisons here on head-fi, and I've narrowed my search to these, ranked in order of preference:

1. RHA MA750I
2. VSonic GR07 Classic
3. Hifiman RE-400
4. Shure SE215

So my budget is flexible, would prefer to keep it $130 or less. If there's any other recommendations I'd love to hear them!

Basically I'm prioritizing sound quality over build, accessories, etc. Sound quality >>> isolation > build quality > accessories.

As for isolation requirements, I will be using for travel, work, and mowing the lawn if possible. 

For sound signature, hard for me to say as I'm no audiophile, just an aspiring one. I'm coming from Bose IE2s that have way too much bass. I like a warmer sound with good bass but I feel as the IE2s bass blow out the rest of the spectrum. I want good clarity and accuracy. Good bass, while still maintaining good vocals and treble.

To sum up, not really sure how to describe what I want. If I had to try I'd say clarity with good bass. More balanced than the IE2s.

So, leaning towards the RHA MA750 at this point. Would like to hear from anyone who's tried both the MA750 and GR07s on how they compare. Thanks!

May 15, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 22
I've never heard the RHA, but they do review quite well. The SE215 is a great option, as is the VSonic. The former will have a fuller, slightly more fun sound while the latter is tuned to be more neutral.

May 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 22
  So this is my first set of decent IEMs. 

I've read quite a few comparisons here on head-fi, and I've narrowed my search to these, ranked in order of preference:

1. RHA MA750I
2. VSonic GR07 Classic
3. Hifiman RE-400
4. Shure SE215

I've only heard the gr07 classic, re400 and ie2s so I will restrict my comments to those. 

For sound signature, hard for me to say as I'm no audiophile, just an aspiring one. I'm coming from Bose IE2s that have way too much bass. I like a warmer sound with good bass but I feel as the IE2s bass blow out the rest of the spectrum. I want good clarity and accuracy. Good bass, while still maintaining good vocals and treble.

Based on this I think you may really enjoy the re400's. They're very balanced with a slight midrange emphasis and very good clarity, especially for iems. Anything with good female vocals (stereolab, blondie, w/e) will really shine with the 400's. Gr07's are slightly more the opposite in that they have more bass and treble rather than the midrange focus of the 400's. The gr07's are more "engaging" while the re400 is more "serene" and "lush."

Compared to the ie2, the gr07 sound more natural and linear with less (and of higher quality bass) and is similar in quantity with regards to mids and treble but on the whole the gr07's are much better. One thing i enjoyed about the ie2's was the open sound they have. The gr07's have a more intimate soundstage, while the re400 falls in between. 

Overall "clarity and accuracy" sum up the re400's to an extent. I love the bass but for some people it is not enough, but considering that the ie2 was overwhelming I think the re400's bass may be perfect for you. Another great attribute of the 400's is that they can really do well in any genre (that I listen to atleast (punk, post-punk, rock, metal, hip-hop, classical, pop, jazz, edm etc..) All iems are gonna be better at some than others but, for the most part, if you feed quality source material to the iems, they will feed quality sound to your ears. The gr07's are pretty agile as well but really excel with "big" sounding material (movie soundtracks, edm, some types of metal)

Basically I'm prioritizing sound quality over build, accessories, etc. Sound quality >>> isolation > build quality > accessories.

As for isolation requirements, I will be using for travel, work, and mowing the lawn if possible. 

The main problem with the re400's is definitely build quality. My first pair lasted for about 2.5 years of rigorous use which is decent i guess for iem's but i took damn good care of them (keep in case, ensuring not to snag cable and keeping pressure of joints as much as possible) but it just wasn't enough. I cant say if the gr07's would fair better or not because I never used them so much but it should speak to the quality of the 400's that i promptly bought another pair (knowing they'll probably break again sooner or later.) I couldn't live without that sound. 

Isolation is much better on the 400's than the gr07 or ie2. You'll probably still have to play music at unsafe levels to hear it while mowing but that will probably be the case with any iems (i've heard etymotics have amazing isolation tho) unless you want to get customs which would be out of your budget (maybe worth the investment tho if you travel alot. Really have to crank most headphones on planes, trains and automobiles in order to hear music.)

Vsonic wrecks with their accessories. Infinite ear-tips in every box. I actually use some of the vsonic tips for my re400s which come with a few decent tips and a decent case which is all you really need. 

Overall I would heartily recommend the re400s. If you are gonna spend most of your listening time in a loud environment tho I would strongly consider investing in some customs (custom art gets good reviews and are fairly inexpensive compared to others (still well over your budget however)

The iems you listed are the same one's I was researching when buying my iems (not sure the RHA was out the first time I was buying tho) and I imagine you'll be happy with any of them (the RHA's seem to be excellent with great build quality based on what I've read) but I would probably stay away from the shure's because of what I've read about the bass (too much based on what I read.)

Good luck mate

May 16, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 22
  I've only heard the gr07 classic, re400 and ie2s so I will restrict my comments to those. 

Based on this I think you may really enjoy the re400's. They're very balanced with a slight midrange emphasis and very good clarity, especially for iems. Anything with good female vocals (stereolab, blondie, w/e) will really shine with the 400's. Gr07's are slightly more the opposite in that they have more bass and treble rather than the midrange focus of the 400's. The gr07's are more "engaging" while the re400 is more "serene" and "lush."

Compared to the ie2, the gr07 sound more natural and linear with less (and of higher quality bass) and is similar in quantity with regards to mids and treble but on the whole the gr07's are much better. One thing i enjoyed about the ie2's was the open sound they have. The gr07's have a more intimate soundstage, while the re400 falls in between. 

Overall "clarity and accuracy" sum up the re400's to an extent. I love the bass but for some people it is not enough, but considering that the ie2 was overwhelming I think the re400's bass may be perfect for you. Another great attribute of the 400's is that they can really do well in any genre (that I listen to atleast (punk, post-punk, rock, metal, hip-hop, classical, pop, jazz, edm etc..) All iems are gonna be better at some than others but, for the most part, if you feed quality source material to the iems, they will feed quality sound to your ears. The gr07's are pretty agile as well but really excel with "big" sounding material (movie soundtracks, edm, some types of metal)

The main problem with the re400's is definitely build quality. My first pair lasted for about 2.5 years of rigorous use which is decent i guess for iem's but i took damn good care of them (keep in case, ensuring not to snag cable and keeping pressure of joints as much as possible) but it just wasn't enough. I cant say if the gr07's would fair better or not because I never used them so much but it should speak to the quality of the 400's that i promptly bought another pair (knowing they'll probably break again sooner or later.) I couldn't live without that sound. 

Isolation is much better on the 400's than the gr07 or ie2. You'll probably still have to play music at unsafe levels to hear it while mowing but that will probably be the case with any iems (i've heard etymotics have amazing isolation tho) unless you want to get customs which would be out of your budget (maybe worth the investment tho if you travel alot. Really have to crank most headphones on planes, trains and automobiles in order to hear music.)

Vsonic wrecks with their accessories. Infinite ear-tips in every box. I actually use some of the vsonic tips for my re400s which come with a few decent tips and a decent case which is all you really need. 

Overall I would heartily recommend the re400s. If you are gonna spend most of your listening time in a loud environment tho I would strongly consider investing in some customs (custom art gets good reviews and are fairly inexpensive compared to others (still well over your budget however)

The iems you listed are the same one's I was researching when buying my iems (not sure the RHA was out the first time I was buying tho) and I imagine you'll be happy with any of them (the RHA's seem to be excellent with great build quality based on what I've read) but I would probably stay away from the shure's because of what I've read about the bass (too much based on what I read.)

Good luck mate

Fantastic comparison thank you! I've read a lot of comparisons on these models and this is by far the most descriptive and relevant. I find it really hard to put what type of sound I want into words. This helps a bit.

You don't by chance own the LG Quadbeats 3 that you could give a quick comparison to the RE-400? These are the only other IEMs I own that have isolation and sound very close to what I'm looking for. 

For bettering my understanding of sound description, is it fair to say the IE2 have recessed mid and treble, and less clarity? How do the IE2s compare to a 'V shaped' sound?

From what I've read on the MA750s they have a warm V shaped sound. I might pick up the RE-400s and MA750s and compare for a bit.

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it.

May 17, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 22
  You don't by chance own the LG Quadbeats 3 that you could give a quick comparison to the RE-400? These are the only other IEMs I own that have isolation and sound very close to what I'm looking for. 

Sorry i do not have the LG's to compare.

I find it really hard to put what type of sound I want into words. This helps a bit.

Putting sound into to words is very difficult, especially since everybody hears things differently. All you can do is read as many impressions as possible and then compare those impressions to what you hear. After doing that a few times with different phones you may find it a little easier to get a "feel" for them based on readings. A very inexact science tho lol. Best advice I got is took take everything you read with a handful of salt and trust your ears. 

Originally Posted by htcrx8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For bettering my understanding of sound description, is it fair to say the IE2 have recessed mid and treble, and less clarity? How do the IE2s compare to a 'V shaped' sound?

I want to preface this with the fact that my experience with the ie2's was quite limited (probably should have mentioned that earlier) and was a couple of years ago. The main thing i remember about the sound was the how big and open it was (being an open earphone probably had something to do with it) and the hollow/cold sound (like footsteps in a long dark hallway) kind of industrial. There was definitely a bass boost and the mids were recessed but I do not remember the treble being as pronounced as with the prototypical v-shaped phones. I think it may have been mostly v-shaped but with the treble never being quite as strong as the gr07 say, and being rolled off on the top. They definitely lacked clarity, especially compared to the 400's and especially in the midrange where you can really basque in all the detail with the hifiman's. I think the main difference is that 400s sounded sweet, natural and analytical whereas the ie2's were sounded more artificial maybe a little "fuzzy(?)". The difference is really noticeable with vocals and woodwinds where you really want a "natural" sound that doesn't mask all the details.

Originally Posted by htcrx8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I've read on the MA750s they have a warm V shaped sound. I might pick up the RE-400s and MA750s and compare for a bit.

I think comparing these two side by side will be your best option. Based on what I've read the MA750's have great build quality. 

One more note on the hifimans: When you first listen to them, don't expect them to "jump" out at you. They have a sort-of low-key presentation that sort of confused me. If your listening to the headphone you may be underwhelmed with your initial impression but if you listen to the music you'll (probably) really enjoy the fidelity to the source material. If you have a favorite female vocalist, I would strongly recommend starting off with that to get a feel for the what the headphone excels at. (sorry if this is all opaque, you said yourself how hard describing sound is haha)

But yeah, comparing with your own ears is by far the best option and I think the MA750 and re400 will be your best bets.

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it.

No problem, hope you find what you're looking for

May 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 22
I've had the MA750's since last fall, and they're great all-around in this price range. Build quality is excellent, and bass is good in quality and quantity, while not intruding on the vocals. A warm sound overall, but still with good detail

May 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 22
I have the quadbeat 3 and the re400.

The quadbeat 3 is more Vshape and the treble is nice but the re400 clarity is better and vocals are little cleaner to me and it's more Netural.

May 17, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 22
You could also read up on the SHOZY Zero. Excellent warm but still fairly well balanced performance.

May 17, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 22
You could also read up on the SHOZY Zero. Excellent warm but still fairly well balanced performance.

are they better then the 1more triple?

May 17, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 22
I have the quadbeat 3 and the re400.

The quadbeat 3 is more Vshape and the treble is nice but the re400 clarity is better and vocals are little cleaner to me and it's more Netural.

Great to know thank you.

How does the bass compare? I like the subbass presence on the LG with a good seal.

May 17, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 22
Great to know thank you.

How does the bass compare? I like the subbass presence on the LG with a good seal.

i wouldnt say the quadbeat 3 are for basshead but they do have bass but the re400 has little bass

May 17, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 22
I went ahead and ordered the MA750s, still debating on trying the RE-400s as well. They're definitely a close #2.

I personally find the re400 dull and not a lot of people like it.

Another option was 1more triple

May 18, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 22
I personally find the re400 dull and not a lot of people like it.

Another option was 1more triple

I don't know what threads you've been reading but I've seen a lot of praise for the sound quality of the RE 400 in here through the years. Unfortunately I've also seen a lot of complaints about the build quality.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back