Help! Can someone explain Exile On Main Street to this Rolling Stones Fan?
Mar 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there a Rolling Stones fan out there who can explain the allure of Exile On Main Street to me?
I like a lot of the Rolling Stones output, but for some reason, I just can't get into Exile On Main Street.
It just sounds incomplete or unfinished.
What am I missing?

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 15
The point of the Stones is that they are raw. It's not unfinished, it's direct and not overworked,

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 15
that explains why my favourite Rolling Stones album is Tattoo You, it's a more polished album

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 15
From Some Girls on, the sound of the Stones changed.

I think it's Gimme Helter where they show the Stones in the studio recording Sticky Fingers. They recorded basically live in whole takes.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 15
Exile is an odd Stones album. Even though the influence of American music is pretty clear on all their stuff, I think Exile is sort of a love song to an imaginary or lost America. The Robert Frank cover is a big hint.

It's very rough, murky, and lo-fi, even for the period. I can see how it would be a love it or hate it thing. It's about my favorite of all their work.

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 15
…"not overworked"…that's it in a nutshell. There's so much on it that's rough and tumble, but they also lay down mature stuff like "Rocks Off", "Shine A Light" and especially (to me) "Tumbling Dice"…I dig how it all comes together…

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the comments guys!

Big +1 on Tumblin' Dice!   Some of the tunes are quite good, for me I just don't hear it as a great overall album.

I started getting into the Rolling Stones with Some Girls.    So I guess that explains my struggles with coming to terms with Exile.
I think I will pick up the Exile DVD when I get a chance, I'd like to see how they worked it up.

Can anyone recommend the other best Stones albums from the Mick Taylor years?    How about Sticky Fingers?

This is absolute heresy, but I am no fan of the Brian Jones years.....sorry!  Please, no offence meant to anyone. 

I'm a big fan of the Shine A Light movie from a couple of years ago.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 15
Sticky Fingers, Aftermath and Beggar's Banquet are my picks for the best Stones albums.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 15
Can anyone recommend the other best Stones albums from the Mick Taylor years?

• Beggars banquet (1968)
• Let it bleed (1969)
• Get yer ya-ya’s out! The Rolling Stones in concert (1970)
• Sticky fingers (1971)

I see that the dudes obviously have a lot of fun still playing music, and of course they make a lot of money, but in my opinion these four albums mentioned are their best. Nothing they recorded later comes even close.

Werner.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
This is absolute heresy, but I am no fan of the Brian Jones years.....sorry!  Please, no offence meant to anyone.

You're in the wrong place to worry about offending anyone…from experience, around here there's always one.
duggehsmile.png

Not me, though. I dig lots of early Stones, but because I got on board as more than a casual listener around the time of "Tumbling Dice", I totally get the potential for bias. To me, it's where their sound became even more a thing of its own. Have you seen the Todd Haynes film I'm Not There, where several different actors (one an actress) play Bob Dylan? More a fascinating movie than a great one, but the part where the Cate Blanchett Dylan hangs out with the Beatles then dismisses the Stones as a "groovy covers band" made me laugh out loud. If I'm not mistaken, I think she was even talking to the Brian Jones character.

I dig the hell out of Sticky Fingers, too…
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 15
Early Stones are the best. That's when they were most unique. Everyone at that time had their eyes on the Beatles, who were creating hooky pop tunes... And along comes the Stones repurposing the Blues and country music with an edge as sharp as a knife. Totally unique. Later on, they started following trends rather than setting them.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks to all you folks for the great suggestions.

I think I'll start off with Sticky Fingers. You all recommend it highly!   Banquet and Let It Bleed will be next on my list.

I have forgotten about Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, I have heard it many times and I think it is one of the greatest live albums of all time. Great stuff. I like the CD/DVD set they released 2-3 years ago.

I'm sure you've all heard the talk of Bill Wyman rejoining for the next tour? Great news, I love his playing.

Tru Blu, LOL about your "offending anyone" comments, pretty much covers all of Head Fi. I guess there are a few curmudgeons everywhere.
k701smile.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 15
disclaimer: please excuse my use of CAPS.

Just listened to Sticky Fingers front to back.

here follows my review:

O! M! G!
WHAT! A! FANTASTIC! ALBUM!
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!
Too bad Mick Taylor quit, sorry Ronnie. Great playing, great songwriting all around. I didn't even notice that the recording is, um, not so good.

I suspect this must be the greatest Rolling Stones album ever! Hot Damn!
Can't wait to listen to "Banquet" and "Bleed" if they are half as good as this one.  Thanks for the tip, folks.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 15
Gimme 'December's Children" (the first album I ever purchased back in '65, and "Aftermath", "Between the Buttons" and "Beggars Banquet" - my fave Stones period.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 15
I just found this thread, but I'm a long time Stones fan. My favorite Stones era is definitely the Mick Taylor years. My favorite Stones albums are Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile On Main St. It probably took me a little longer to get into Exile than the other three, but now I couldn't do without any of them.

By the way, their is a new Stones release from the Mick Taylor era. The Stones have just recently released 'Brussels Affair (Live 1973)' from their 1973 European Tour. This was formerly only available as a bootleg. Now it's available as an official release and it sounds great! Anyone who likes early-70's Stones will love it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back