Help! Budget Computer Rig
Aug 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mr_Junesequa

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

A few weeks ago I was invited to universal music offices for work, part of the meeting was a demonstration of an audio track we wanted to use for an event. The system they played it on was amazing. Marantz cd player and amp and two huge yamaha spoeakers,

until this demonstration I had stuck to my headphone rigs and still prefer them however - this demonstration made me make my mind up to buy a speaker rig

I want a decent home system. But I dont have a lot to throw at it right now

So I thought of something basic with pc source while I do my reading and go to a lot of audio stores. So while I save my pennies I can also be content with something to start off with

Budget US $800 $AUD 1000
What Im thinking of is:
  1. Behringer Truth 3031a
  2. Squeezebox Duet

Obviously the behringers are active and the squeezebox output would be digital out.

I need help :S Is this a decent rig? Do you have any reccomendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 6
I've been extremely happy with my "budget" desktop setup, which includes a pair of Tekton Design 4.1 Speakers (purchased for $225), Valab Non-OS Dac (purchased for aroung $120), a Topping Mk2 T-Amp ($90) and a Dayton HSU-8 Subwoofer ($160) So a grand total of $595.

If i were to do it again, I'd opt out of the Subwoofer as the speakers sound amazingly wonderful without subs..they extend quite low due to their full-range design. If you want more low end, consider their higher end models with larger drivers. These things have terrific imaging, soundstage, and resolution.

If you choose to run the Behringer Truths, I'd suggest investing the rest of the funds into a high quality DAC

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 6
Would i need a dac if its streaming from my PC to my squeezebox? ... you mean between the squeezebox to the speakers

any reccomendations for a budget DAC? I assume my predator wouldnt do the job?

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Here's my budget set-up. I use it more for background listening, e.g. in the kitchen, during dinner.
Old Dell P3 or P4 desktop running XP. It has little memory, I think 256k. A 1tb external hardrive (WD MyBook). Firestone Fubar for the DAC (the connector between the computer USB and the receiver's RCA input). I use MediaMonkey as a player (although FooBar or WMP11 would work just as fine).

I think the total cost for a small flat screen monitor, DAC and external hard drive was $340.

Sounds great. The only thing that may be better would be more memory. While it works good and is relatively fast, the computer does hang up from time to time. It is a dedicated computer, so I've stripped out any programs that aren't dedicated to music. I do have nearly 30,000 tunes, mostly in FLAC, so that may cause some delays as well.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all,

A few weeks ago I was invited to universal music offices for work, part of the meeting was a demonstration of an audio track we wanted to use for an event. The system they played it on was amazing. Marantz cd player and amp and two huge yamaha spoeakers,

until this demonstration I had stuck to my headphone rigs and still prefer them however - this demonstration made me make my mind up to buy a speaker rig

I want a decent home system. But I dont have a lot to throw at it right now

So I thought of something basic with pc source while I do my reading and go to a lot of audio stores. So while I save my pennies I can also be content with something to start off with

Budget US $800 $AUD 1000
What Im thinking of is:
  1. Behringer Truth 3031a
  2. Squeezebox Duet

Obviously the behringers are active and the squeezebox output would be digital out.

I need help :S Is this a decent rig? Do you have any reccomendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

If your set on going digital you can get a digital out from most motherboards. Does your mobo not have S/Pdif output?
Going this route may leave you more to put towards your active monitors. Alternately, more for a DAC, amplifier and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back