Help a Fisherman
Feb 28, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 29
I'd recommend the ultrasone djpro1. Great strong clamp with plenty of noise isolation, easy to drive, and tuff as nails. Either that or the vmoda m80's, but those are on ear not over ear. What do you fish for? I fish locally for crappie, bluegill, walleye, flatheads, and white bass mostly. Gone ocean fishing a few times in florida and the fish down there feel like they're gonna pull you over the boat.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
I am really interested in these. But are they anything more than a safety headset (like my Peltor) with drivers?

I think I am going to try marrying my Peltors to some headphone drivers and see where that gets me.

The fact that the headsets isolate as much as they do is because of the enclosure space in between where the drivers typically are in a headphone is covered with acoustic foam. Tried adding socks inside the cups on some yellow no-brand sets for comfort, and poof the isolation disappears.

Quote:
IMO the only things to do here is to get custom molded ear plugs. There is two ways to do this.

Active noise cancelling will be nowhere as good and they will break immediately, as they're not very tough.

- you get custom molded ear plugs, possibly with changeable filters so that you can find your perfect level of attenuation. Find the right supplier and they will have an attachment that is a earphone that fit in the earplug instead of the filter.
- get a custom IEM.

There is reason etymotyic sells acs tips. A consistently good seal and high comfort.

Pretty much this.

Quote:
I'd recommend the ultrasone djpro1. Great strong clamp with plenty of noise isolation, easy to drive, and tuff as nails. Either that or the vmoda m80's, but those are on ear not over ear. What do you fish for? I fish locally for crappie, bluegill, walleye, flatheads, and white bass mostly. Gone ocean fishing a few times in florida and the fish down there feel like they're gonna pull you over the boat.

Think he's looking for IEMs/cans that really isolate.

Love the fish talk and the thread title. :p

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
IEM fit is a function of a few things. Your ears might be too small for a lot of IEM's. I know that all the old Ultimate Ears universals were way too big to fit into my ears. You can find some IEM's that have smaller tips that you can stick in further and should isolate better. There's also the size and shape of the case to consider. Some companies, like Westone, do a great job at designing cases that fit well in ears and don't fall out. A lot of the better designs will have the wires going over the ear instead of straight down. Also, if you have fit problems, using foam tips like Comply's usually works as a last resort.

Do you think any generic IEM sleeve is going to be better than a mold I make of my own ear?

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #20 of 29
I'll honestly give my opinion on this, and I really think you should save money to get a proper set of custom IEMs. 1964 ears IEM's claim -26db of isolation. But as far as customs go, I think I would really consider saving up for an audiologist to do it. It's often worth the money to make sure it's done right. Other isolation options would be the etymotic mc5's. -35db isolation. But they seem like they would stick out rather far for wearing under other earpro. Customs would sit pretty flush with your ears. No idea about durability on either.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Do you think any generic IEM sleeve is going to be better than a mold I make of my own ear?

Not him, but nope. Custom tips will always give a consistently perfect fit.

As mentioned, your best bet for the absolute maximum isolation would be to spring for silicone (this is key) customs or silcone custom tips. 1964 Ears, ACS, the list goes on (I think the former would be the cheapest sans impressions)

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #23 of 29
The Rock-It R-Shield was designed just for this purpose. Skip the Bose, their designed for business men flying on planes, not the working man. They'll break quickly.

I think that IEM would be ideal though. Cosmic ears offers customs starting at around $100 plus the cost of having molds done (or doing them yourself). I haven't heard them but they are well regarded.

If you're the diy type, some silicone putty and a set of universal IEM you like provides fantastic isolation as well, and can be done for about $15 plus the cost of the IEM. And that's enough putty to make half a dozen or more pairs so if you break one you're not out of luck

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #26 of 29
Check this out: www.mavirtual.com
It's a Bluetooth headset in a hat - which uses bone conduction. This means you can wear your earplugs to block out the noise, and the sound from the hat / headset will transmit directly into your inner ear through vibration.  Pretty cool; it's the same tech used in hearing aids but you can use it in combination with earplugs to get the best noise cancellation you could ask for.  And if you wear a hat anyway, it's one less thing to remember to bring to work :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #27 of 29
I have the etymotic ek5. If you're already used to the 3 flange tips these have amazing sound quality and are cheap.

Just watch out because the impedance is extremely high so they are very quiet. You have to crank up the volume more than normal to get the same level, but it should only be a minor inconvenience at worst

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 29
I have an HD-800 I use in the boat. I actually once dropped it into the water on accident but it seems to still be OK. Luckily I was able to pull it back up by the cord.
Oh and would you believe there was a tiny fish inside the cup!

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #29 of 29
  I'll honestly give my opinion on this, and I really think you should save money to get a proper set of custom IEMs. 1964 ears IEM's claim -26db of isolation. But as far as customs go, I think I would really consider saving up for an audiologist to do it. It's often worth the money to make sure it's done right. Other isolation options would be the etymotic mc5's. -35db isolation. But they seem like they would stick out rather far for wearing under other earpro. Customs would sit pretty flush with your ears. No idea about durability on either.

As a Doctorate level Audiologist, and a person that has extensive experience building/designing custom in ear monitors (CIEM), if you do decide to go custom, do not bother with Acrylic custom made CIEMs. The idea that they reduce ambient noise by 26dB is pretty much a farce.  (see the above chart)

That being said, custom silicone in ear monitors would do a better job, but I do question their durability in the conditions that you work in.

Have you considered Bluetooth equiped Peltor products?  http://www.shop3m.com/3m-peltor-ws-series-headsets-with-bluetooth-wireless-technology.html

You can google "bluetooth hearing protection devices" and see what other products are available as well.

The tri-flange EtyMotic products are great as well, but if it were I, I would prefer a Peltor "Cup" type system, as that would give me more freedom and avoid haveing a pair of IEMs being jerked out of my ears if the cable snags on something. (speaking from experience, it can be a painful event)

FYI - the product that you are looking for, (Hearing Protection Device) may be considered a tax deduction, if they are required to have for your line of work.

Take care & stay safe

Wizard

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back