Hello
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

neverused

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 

I'm new to this community and hifi in general, I can see I have much to learn.  I'm an engineer by trade and tinkerer in life, so I love build and learn about whatever I can.  In fact, I am planning to make my own variation of the stratokosster and have a question.  Can anyone recommend a cheap and readily available alternative to acoustic foam?  I do not wish to spend $20+ on the material if I can source an alternate immediately.  I am not familiar with the material properties of acoustic foam that I would be looking for, but I had considered the flat sheets of craft foam found in stores such as Joann's, Michael's, etc.  Would this be a suitable alternative?  

Thank you for all of your help and I look forward to becoming a member of this community.

-neverused

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Egg-crate shaped mattress topper foam might work for improving the sound of a room as it will both scatter as well as absorb incoming sound, but if you're looking for something smaller it might not work.  Just make sure it is open-cell foam that is pretty soft and it should work okay.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Egg-crate shaped mattress topper foam might work for improving the sound of a room as it will both scatter as well as absorb incoming sound, but if you're looking for something smaller it might not work.  Just make sure it is open-cell foam that is pretty soft and it should work okay.

Thank you for your help. I was looking more specifically for the thin foam used in headphone mods such as:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0040JHMH6/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=1JLR37H3R9D2M&coliid=IXURQFNED2LM6

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back