Hello
Jul 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ant8519

New Head-Fier
hello all

I have recently bought some AKG551 over ear headphones which I am loving. I find that I am mostly listening to Spotify via my iMac at best quality (320k OGG) and find these indistinguishable from the same songs played as local FLAC files played through the iMac headphone out.

So my question is am I getting the best from these headphones using the iMac? Would an external headphone amplifier improve things at all?

I also have the iMac attached to a usb subwoofer which I find greatly improves the sound when not using headphones and am wanting to be able to switch between headphones and the standard setup more easily (that is not unplugging the annoyingly hard to locate rear jack all the time) and wondered if any headphone amps will allow more simple switching between the iMac's internal output and the headphones?

Any advice would be very useful, thanks.

Ant

ps - just to complicate things, I am a bit keen on valve amplification and would imagine that a valve amp would partner well with the AKG551's as they seem neutral to bright by nature...

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 3
The AKG K551s are only 32-Ohm, not something you want to drive with a low cost tube amplifier.

Would you have a budget for an external DAC/Head Amp ?

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi

thx for your response.

Budget $200 (although I am in UK so am thinking about £150) and I had looked at the Aune T1 (currently available at £130) and thought it might be ideal...

So the K551 need a certain amount of power? OK but for reference the amp in the iMac seems to drive them comfortably and I would not want the volume above about half setting for fear of damaging my ears.

thx, Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back