Hello there! need headphone suggestions For Studio+
Apr 16, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #31 of 36
The Sony phones (7506 or V6, very similar phone though I have slight preference for the 7506 since it seems a bit more flat) are very useful in the studio. Great for detailed editing, tracking, comping, etc. They are closed phones, so good for privacy, no leakage, but not so good for stereo field and mixing as open phones.

I have 2 pairs of 7506 and 2 of V6. Also use them for DJing. Very durable except for two points:
1. The headphone pads eventually start to flake. This is probably true of any headphone with heavy usage. The pads can be easily replaced, though (user-installable).
2. If the cord gets abused, as often happens in studio or live settings - stepped on, chair rolled over, etc - you will probably eventually have drop-outs on one or both channel. Again, this is a risk with any headphone. I don't know why every headphone manufacturer doesn't simply design with removable (and therefore easily replaced) cables.

The sound is quite good for closed phones, especially for this price (the 7506s were just on sale for $89 at Guitar Center), and these are fairly standard in studios.

Another one to consider is the Sony 7509 (now 7509HD). I bought those and returned them, though; thought the bass was unnaturally boosted. They also run about twice the price of the 7506s.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #32 of 36
One more thing on the 7506s:

They are quite bright, but also have surprisingly good bass response for relatively small headphones. No comparison to the Beyers, but still quite good.

mk3

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #33 of 36
thanks for the info, but i'm still leaning towards the m50 or the akg 271 mk2,

i do have another question, since i play mostly rock and blues and most of the metal. will the akg 271 or the m50 be cut out for it?

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #34 of 36
Headphones for your purpose need to have specific properties and I would normally have thought you would get a better answer if this was posted on Gearslutz or Sound On Sound which are frequented by many top recording professionals (as well as amateurs).

First you need to decide what you want the headphones for, as there are two different types for two different purposes.

If you mainly want the headphones for mixing and editing on your DAW, you need good open headphones.

If you want headphones for use while tracking, you need closed headphones.

You do *not* want headphones that "sound good" - you need headphones that are accurate and will show up any mistakes and deficiencies in what you are recording so you can take the necessary action to correct it.

Personally I use a mix of headphones - I use good open headphones for editing (new pair coming in a couple of weeks or so when the factory finally get them out), I also have a good pair of pro. closed headphones that are excellent for listening to detail; which I use when I want to concentrate on subtle detail in a mix.

For tracking I use any old closed headphones as quality is not so important for thsi use - they just need to have a good seal so they don't bleed back into the microphone and present the music so the vocalist can sing in tune.

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiXSeaBlue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the info, but i'm still leaning towards the m50 or the akg 271 mk2,

i do have another question, since i play mostly rock and blues and most of the metal. will the akg 271 or the m50 be cut out for it?

imo, with velour pads, the K271s would be enjoyable for those genres.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #36 of 36
to John Willett:
yes i'm buying it mainly for tracking, the sound engineer i work with at the studio recommends closed headphones as well. but i do intend to bring in my headphones to the studio since i dont fancy using other people's stuff especially headphones since i dont trust some of these guy's hi-gene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back