Hello! Sound card as DAC and AMP for gaming + music?
Sep 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

leewang

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have been looking around for a sound card for both gaming and music. I mostly play FPS like CS:GO but I also listen to a lot of music during my free time and therefore want to maximize my enjoyment. I have a Sennheiser PC 360 headset and am currently using on board sound. I've been looking around in these forums and many people suggest the Creative Sound Blaster Zx for gaming (though the HT Omega Claro Halo seems very appealing) but people also say to use the sound card as a DAC and then get an amp as well. So essentially, I really don't know where to start. What do I get? How do I set it up? I have a budget of around $300.

Thank you!

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 3
   I am new to this forum and I have been looking around for a sound card for both gaming and music. I mostly play FPS like CS:GO but I also listen to a lot of music during my free time and therefore want to maximize my enjoyment. I have a Sennheiser PC 360 headset and am currently using on board sound. I've been looking around in these forums and many people suggest the Creative Sound Blaster Zx for gaming (though the HT Omega Claro Halo seems very appealing) but people also say to use the sound card as a DAC and then get an amp as well. So essentially, I really don't know where to start. What do I get? How do I set it up? I have a budget of around $300.

The Sound Blaster Z (not Zx) comes with a DAC, headphone amplifier and headphone surround sound features, all for around $85.
(The ACM module that comes with the Zx is though to have a slight negative effect on audio quality).

It's usually recommended to spend more for the headphone, then the DAC/Amp, so for a $300 budget, you might consider upgrading to a better headphone (at least for music quality).
I think you should save cash and just spend the $85 for the SB-Z.

For better audio quality, you could buy a Asus Xonar Essence STX ($180) or Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR ($210)

There is the Schiit stack, Schiit Modi DAC ($99) and Schiit Magni amp ($99), nice external DAC/amp ($198+ tax/shipping), but offers zero audio processing features (like headphone surround sound).
So chances are you would still have to buy a sound card (like the SB-Z), to plug the Schiit stack into.

Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $60) combined with a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60), would give you a setup with a volume knob at your finger tips, all for around $120.
(Your using the DX sound card as the DAC, plus is comes with Dolby Headphone)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back