Hello and help please...
Oct 8, 2010 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gideon

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Just joined the forums as everytime i have had a query on audio i always seem to end up back on this site so thought i'd join you guys and see if i can get some help from your expertise/experience.

I've not really been into IEMs as i've always found the quality was awful (admittidly it was just with the freebies i get with the MP3 players/Phones) but with my new phone i got a punch to the gut on that theory.

I bought the Dell Streak (some love it some hate it but it suits me) and it came with these nice IEMs with an inline mic, the mic was crystal clear and there was barely any background noise for the person listening to me and the headphones sat snuggly into the ear canal and didn't keep working loose and as such losing the quality (like so many do)....i've since found out how important the fit is after reading many articles on here so a big thanks to that wake up call guys.

Then comes the sound quality, i was amazed that freebie headphones had a precise bass that was clear but very powerful, i do like bass because of the type of music i listen to but i don't want it to take over and just drill into your head so you can't hear any of the mid or hi's.

I was so impressed with these they have changed my way of looking at the IEMs and making them my preference for the walk up the shops (rather than looking like a cyberman with rather large headphones).

Unfortunately during a very bad week for myself where a lot of my electronic equipment all failed at the same time (damned xbox) i think caught one of the phones under the coaster on my chair at work, when i rolled the chair back and saw it had ripped the headphones i was gutted.

After looking into replacement's i've then found that there are a few floating around in the budget area (not the richest bloke i'm afraid).

Here's my shortlist so far:

[size=10pt]v-moda vibe duo
skullcandy fmj 2009 or 2010
soundmagic pl50
nu-force 7 or 8
dell streak headphones (can't find the specs or who actually makes them for dell)[/size]

[size=10pt]Anyone got any recommendations or even alternatives?[/size]

[size=10pt]If it helps here's a few example tracks that i used to test the dell streak headphones when i got them.[/size]

[size=10pt]She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart[/size]
[size=10pt]Killswitch Engage - End of heartache[/size]
[size=10pt]Tracey Chapman - Another sun[/size]

[size=10pt]Sorry it's such a long post but i thought i'd put in as much info as possible about my dilema.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks for reading[/size]

[size=10pt]Pete[/size]

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 15
Hi,

Thanks for those recommendations they hadn't come up in my searches
biggrin.gif

Whilst looking for information on them i came across www.buydigi.co.uk who are selling them for about £42, then on the off chance i thought i'd see if they did the nu-force ne7m's as well (getting fed up with the price being twice the US price).

Sure enough there they were for £46, now that puts me in a tricky situation....rather than trying to find someone selling things i've found them in the UK and at a good price!

How do you think these two go against each other head to head?

Oh and is the Maximo IP-595 the version with the Mic you were thinking of?

Thanks again

Pete

EDIT

http://www.buydigi.co.uk/english/shop-all-department/headphones/earbud-headphones/v-moda-vibe-ii-earbud-headset-with-microphone-black-iphone-compatible.html

Just found those as well for £47.99

Now i've found a UK seller with all the brands i was looking into at decent prices and in stock it's even harder to decide hehe

Think i'm going to just have to take a plunge with one of these

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 15
Radiopaq Jazz....you mean these ones?

http://www.cancomuk.com/Brand/Radiopaq/Product/65719?___Radiopaq-Custom-Tuned-Earphones-with-iPod-iPhone-mic-and-controls-Jazz-EIPC99-JZ-012&ref=5681a404afd60a8d

Not a bad price either.

How i want them to sound wise...hmmm...i'll try and describe it as best i can...

Strong, heavy hitting punchy bass (not overbearing flat and muddied though) and not blurring out the mid and high ends.

I'd heard from many reviews that this kind of area was the nu-force's strenghts hence they were high up on my list.

I listen to a lot of metal/acoustic rock/country and some old 80's cheese and a nice sub style punchy bass really makes this kind of music sound so much better.

I kept getting either overbearing bass or horrible treble type sounds when i've just gone with over the counter high street style budget brands so i think it's time i got some proper ones but alas the kids take up most of my money so i'm a bit budget limited.

Hope that makes sense
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 15
Hmmmm now i've got another option come into my budget....

pixmania have got the klipsch image s4's on offer for £43...

So it seems to me i'm down to:

Nu-force NE-7M
Radiopaq Jazz (as recommended by Mark)
Klipsch Image S4

So if anyone has any ideas which of these is likely to peform better for the kind of music i mentioned before i'd appreciate the feedback as i'm going to hit the buy button on one of these before the weekends over
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 15
fwiw - Vendors on amazon.co.uk seem to have better prices for the Radiopaq Jazz ( around £30)

I have the Radiopaq Classicals and they are very easy to get a good fit with and have pretty good isolation.  I  recommend that you pull on the back of the ear piece, not the cord when you remove them from your ear.

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for the feedback guys
biggrin.gif

Radiopaq Jazz goes for about £30 as you said and the version with the inline mic is about £36, so would probably go for the £36 as with a Dell Streak (which is currently my phone and music player) holding it to your ear to answer a call looks a bit wrong hehe

So i think i'm going to go with Marks recommendation for my first "proper" IEMs, i may still get some nu-force ones at some point though as there's something very interesting about them and their reviews that's still got me curious hehe

After reading Marks review they definitely seem to tick all the boxes for my range of music although there was a recommendation for an amp. So that would lead me on to the question, how much for a basic budget amp that would accompany the Jazz to improve them for my music tastes i put further up (fiio e5 or cmoy or others?).

Cheers

Pete

EDIT

Have just found if i go without the inline mic i can get the Jazz for £19.99 direct from radiopaq with free shipping!!!

Might get them and then the NE-7M next month or a portable amp lol

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Cool,

Cheers for that
biggrin.gif

I'll just order the radiopaq jazz first then see how they sound after burn in, if i feel it needs a bit more behind it after reading the portable amp forum i may have to hook up with Gary for a PA2V2 which i think would work best with the Radiopaqs.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Well they've arrived today....3 hours into burn in now....and i have to say Mark...love em!!

I mean i can hear certain flaws in certain levels on certain tracks but possibly the PA2V2 will help in some areas, it's not 100% perfect but if i thought budget phones were perfect i wouldn't want to spend more at a later date lol

The overall balance of the bass, mids, highs in general is the right kind of balance for my tastes so thanks for the recomendation Mark i think you were spot on for my price bracket.

I do have one last question for you though Mark, with the current phones on the market and your experience if i had a budget more in the region of £100-£150 where would you put your money to get the same level of bass and keeping it tight and punchy, with the nice clarity of the mids and highs that the radiopaq jazz gives.

I'm just curious about what the pricier bracket of this kind of sounding phones is, so i can keep track of future comparisions so when my budget (and wife) allow i can go bigger and better for this type of sound.

Thanks again

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back