Heir Audio 3.Ai Vs......Everything else
Nov 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Waiteyus

New Head-Fier
Guys, im looking for a bit of advice.
Its time for a new iem and i can't make a decision.
There are a couple of earphones i am considering, or even combinations of earphones.

Heir Audio 3.Ai - From all the reviews read, no one has a bad word to say about these.
Yamaha eph-100 - Good reviews, bassy signature, good price.
Westone UM2 - Natural but warm(ish) decent bass
UE tf10 - Old favourite, fit issues, still very well recieved.

My question really is, would people have a preference of any of the above iem's and why?
It seems from spending a LOT of time reading reviews that the Heir Audio is very highly regarded, so is there a reason NOT to buy it? Or would a combination of two of the cheaper models compliment each other, and be preferable to a single product?

If it helps i listen to a wide variety of music, from a lot of Hip Hop to Bach and Beethoven, with most things in between.
I will also be using an Ipod classic with Fiio E11.

Thank you in advance

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 10
dont get a TF10.  as awesome as it sounds, i rarely used it because of fit.

will be going for a UE900, 4ai, or 3ai soon.  waiting for holiday sales to see if i can get these for cheaper.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 10
The fit of the tf10 was the one thing that put me off them slightly. Although try do seem to still be a very appealing iem, especially if available for the right price.
The heir audio are highly regarded by everyone that owns them as far as I can tell, as with the yamahas. I wonder if anyone has both and can do a comparison?
I think I will be purchasing one of these models in the next day or so.
Cheers

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 10
I have no experience with any of the iem's you listed aside from the Heir 3.Ai. You can find my initial impressions on the 3.Ai and 4.Ai thread. I ended up buying both models of Heirs and glad I did. The combo of both covers all the bases.

The 3.Ai has a v shape sound and if that is what you are after it does that VERY well. The bass and treble have quite a bite but also are controlled and with plenty of clarity. The build quality and customer service is also top notch.

There are some music styles better suited to an even headphone like the 4.Ai such as acoustic guitars, vocals, anything where you want a lot of detail and accuracy in the mids. The 3.Ai it's great for hard rock, electronic, etc..anything more rowdy and fun.

You wouldn't necessarily want to listen to your Bach or Beethoven on the 3.Ai ...the 4.Ai is better suited - more accurate. Your hip hop will be better on the 3.Ai but also decent on the 4.Ai you just won't get that real deep bass extension. I find the 4.Ai almost perfect and more versatile and the 3.Ai an awesome companion. If you had to get just one...? Really depends on your preference.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 10
@thegrobe
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling the 3.ai would be better suited to my tastes. I do have classical, plus various other genres I listen to regularly but I have to admit hip hop, r&b would account for 60%+ of my listening. The 4.ai I figured would be too analytical for these genres.
I think I will place an order for the 3.ai.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I have no experience with any of the iem's you listed aside from the Heir 3.Ai. You can find my initial impressions on the 3.Ai and 4.Ai thread. I ended up buying both models of Heirs and glad I did. The combo of both covers all the bases.
The 3.Ai has a v shape sound and if that is what you are after it does that VERY well. The bass and treble have quite a bite but also are controlled and with plenty of clarity. The build quality and customer service is also top notch.
There are some music styles better suited to an even headphone like the 4.Ai such as acoustic guitars, vocals, anything where you want a lot of detail and accuracy in the mids. The 3.Ai it's great for hard rock, electronic, etc..anything more rowdy and fun.
You wouldn't necessarily want to listen to your Bach or Beethoven on the 3.Ai ...the 4.Ai is better suited - more accurate. Your hip hop will be better on the 3.Ai but also decent on the 4.Ai you just won't get that real deep bass extension. I find the 4.Ai almost perfect and more versatile and the 3.Ai an awesome companion. If you had to get just one...? Really depends on your preference.

Would there be a big jump between the 3ai and 3a or 4ai to 4a?

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
@thegrobe
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling the 3.ai would be better suited to my tastes. I do have classical, plus various other genres I listen to regularly but I have to admit hip hop, r&b would account for 60%+ of my listening. The 4.ai I figured would be too analytical for these genres.
I think I will place an order for the 3.ai.

You know, you will not be disappointed with the 3.Ai. I really think they are great. Truth be told, if I had bought the 3.Ai first, I would have been very impressed and probably left it at that. They have a big "wow" factor for me. However, I bought the 4.Ai first and they are fantastic - but I loved them so much that I was really itching to try the bassy, more fun version as well. There are just things each does a bit better. You won't regret the 3.Ai. 
Quote:

Don't know. Maybe ask on the Heir appreciation thread, lots of CIEM owners there who may be able to illustrate any sonic differences in addition to the obvious difference of custom fit.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

If, by big jump, you mean a massive increase in the quality of sound, not really. 

They deliver about the same sound, but with focus in different areas. It's a choice about fun vs analytical  :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back