HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Sep 10, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #4,141 of 4,489
That was a phenomenal review. The sub bass performance is disappointing. If it had better extension below 40 hz, the tuning seems like it would be near perfect.

Just from a frequency response perspective, Hedd’s midrange and treble tweaks look fantastic, compared to their previous model. If only they could have also improved the sub bass…

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #4,142 of 4,489
That was a phenomenal review. The sub bass performance is disappointing. If it had better extension below 40 hz, the tuning seems like it would be near perfect.

Just from a frequency response perspective, Hedd’s midrange and treble tweaks look fantastic, compared to their previous model. If only they could have also improved the sub bass…
:thinking::thinking:as with the HEDDphone One something like 5 db below 40hz to EQ is something really easy to do without distorsion ..
I own and use also a DCA Stealth (since 2021) beside the HEDDphone One (since 2020) .. which at least twice the price and the HEDDphone offers at least identical if not more impressive impacts for lows and ultra lows....

As I don't have any real issue in real life with the weight and comfort, I think I don't need to upgrade to the HEDDphone Two, though, in 2023 I would probably buy the HEDDphone Two over the HEDDphone one for a much better headband positioning. Frequency response are similar and easy to EQ a bit to reach a Harman Target if needed.

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #4,143 of 4,489
There’s almost a rule of thumb now that the heavier a non-dynamic (or non-‘stat) headphone is, the more likely there will be an upper midrange/lower treble dip (and I’ve had way too many of those). Everything else looks quite good though.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,144 of 4,489
As I don't have any real issue in real life with the weight and comfort, I think I don't need to upgrade to the HEDDphone Two, though, in 2023 I would probably buy the HEDDphone Two over the HEDDphone one for a much better headband positioning. Frequency response are similar and easy to EQ a bit to reach a Harman Target if needed.

Yeah since I mutilated my HEDD1 for the sake of comfort, I haven't had any issues either, and it looks like the performance between the two generations is similar enough not to warrant an upgrade for owners of the original. (Though a comparison would be fun.)

But yes, this is definitely the one to get for people shopping for their first AMT. For a while I was worried HEDD wasn't going to make a successor, because they were quiet about it for years, and the technology truly deserves a second chance. So I'm really glad the v2 exists, and more people can enjoy all the benefits of VVT AMT drivers without issue. Hopefully with Headphones.com heavily promoting it, it's actually going to really take off now.

I think this is the headphone that will finally force the planar makers (and fans) to look up and take notice.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #4,145 of 4,489
Hmmm, ok. This measures a lot like a Stax SR-007 mk1. I would like to see distortion plots - H1 did have some elevated distortion in the upper half of the FR - but so far these have my attention. Not sure how much point there is for someone that already has good estats but I'll definitely post impressions if I decide to pick up a pair.

Sep 10, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,146 of 4,489
Excellent review from headphones.com! I'd love to try out the HEDDphone 2. I listened to v1 at meets in the past, and I thought it was very intense and mid-forward with a lot of dynamic punch (for bass) and "pop" (for the rest of the spectrum). I guess kind of like the Utopia in some ways. I've found that dynamics play a big role in detail retrieval and technical performance, so the dynamics enabled by the AMT driver matches reports of very good detail in the v2. The main thing that gave me concern in the review was that the vocals were described as pretty forward and without a lot of frontal depth. I personally am wary of headphones with upfront vocals (that's my main issue with the Aeon 2 Noire and the Audeze CRBN/MM-500), and I prefer vocals that maintain some distance from my face, like Hifimans and Sony Z-series headphones do. I'm also not sold on oval-shaped soundstages - that was my main issue with the HD800S where it felt disproportionately wider than it was deeper vs my Shangri-La Jr.

But I'm happy to let a demo of the HEDDv2 dispel those notions. I guess I'm in a similar boat to catscratch above where I already have good electrostatics, and given that I didn't find the HEDD v1's sound (or ergonomics) compelling enough to be tempted during my demos, I would need to be convinced by a hands-on demo of the v2's sound on whether it's a good addition to the collection. But the v2 simply looks much more attractive due to its improved design and reportedly much better comfort. I maintain high hopes :)

Sep 11, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #4,147 of 4,489
(Just waiting for the HEDDphone V2 and reading about a new tweeter implementation and "thinking" if and how (any why) we can build a HP out of it. :p )

"The plasma driver has no moving parts and no diaphragm. Sound is emitted directly from the thermal expansion and contraction of an electrically sustained plasma. The plasma is generated within a stream of helium gas. In the demonstration, there was a large helium tank on the floor with a sufficient supply for several hours of listening."

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...-sound-with-plasma-hill-plasmatronics-tweeter

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #4,148 of 4,489
(Just waiting for the HEDDphone V2 and reading about a new tweeter implementation and "thinking" if and how (any why) we can build a HP out of it. :p )

"The plasma driver has no moving parts and no diaphragm. Sound is emitted directly from the thermal expansion and contraction of an electrically sustained plasma. The plasma is generated within a stream of helium gas. In the demonstration, there was a large helium tank on the floor with a sufficient supply for several hours of listening."

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...-sound-with-plasma-hill-plasmatronics-tweeter
Excellent. Spaciousness and wonderful highs, in more ways than one.

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #4,149 of 4,489

It would certainly keep your ears warm in the cold weather!

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #4,150 of 4,489
Mmm... plasma. I do love the smell of ozone in the morning.

Though if you really want a tan from your headphones, just make an enriched uranium driver in an enclosure milled from solid beryllium. You don't even need to include any nifty blue LEDs, the Cherenkov radiation will take care of that.

Just don't press the earcups together when you take them off your head.

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #4,152 of 4,489
Since HEDD v2 is using 3.5mm connector, is it same connector as with Hifiman?

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4,153 of 4,489
Since HEDD v2 is using 3.5mm connector, is it same connector as with Hifiman?
That would depend on which pinout they choose. For example, Hifiman cables are compatible with Focal headphones, but not with Sony headphones despite all three brands using 3.5mm connectors, because Sony uses a different pinout in their 3.5mm connectors. I haven't heard anyone mention which pinout the v2 uses, but I might have missed the comment.

Sep 12, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #4,154 of 4,489
That would depend on which pinout they choose. For example, Hifiman cables are compatible with Focal headphones, but not with Sony headphones despite all three brands using 3.5mm connectors, because Sony uses a different pinout in their 3.5mm connectors. I haven't heard anyone mention which pinout the v2 uses, but I might have missed the comment.
For what it is worth: here the same custom cable works fine for my Hifiman and Heddphone One V1.

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #4,155 of 4,489
My written review of the HEDDPhone TWO just went up.
Probably the longest and most comprehensive one I've written so far at 3.5k words. There was a lot to talk about and I re-wrote this about 3 times.
I tell myself I won't write something this long again in the future but realistically if I review something like the Modhouse Tungsten I'll fall into this trap again.

tl;dr for those who don't have time but seriously, please read it because those 3.5k words are meant to answer all the questions that I myself would have had if I wasn't reviewing it. I only haven't heard the HEDDPhone 1 enough to comment for comparison. Also there's a bonus EQ in the end if you want to try.

Pros:
  • Excellent ergonomics and build. Really goes to show how much care and attention HEDD Audio puts into the feedback they've gotten. The ability to control both clamp force and height at once is genius. And they didn't skimp on the headband surface area or padding. I usually don't wear headphones for like 2-3 hours at a time but I could with these despite it still being a hefty headphone. Oh and a 5-year warranty is nothing to sneeze at.
  • The two standout features of the HEDDPhone TWO features are microdynamics and what I call "timbral resolution". Microdynamics is the subtle gradations between notes and within passages that capture the performer's emotional expression. Timbral resolution is all the little microdetails of a note that comes together to create the full character of an individual instrument you can hear. For example, when a cello is bowed, all the tiny little individual resonances in the strings that make up its timbre. It’s like suddenly realizing that there can be so many different shades of the same type of note and the HEDDPhone TWO is telling you exactly what shade it is. HEDDPhone TWO is the only headphone that I can remember where I've noticed these qualities so strongly.
  • Stringed instruments and synths perform exceptionally well thanks to the above points. Vocal layering is also top notch.
  • Despite the subbass roll-off, these AMT drivers do push air quite effectively. Notes can sometimes sound bigger and boomier than expected.
Cons:
  • The tuning is an odd combination of warm and bright. It's honestly not reallllly a con but just something to know. Its more like a shotgun scatter of mini-peaks rather than a hard peak here and there. And yes, there is sibilance in the vocals.
  • Macrodynamic impact and slam is lacking. This just isn't a Focal headphone. More like on the level of the MM-500 I'd say and better than HD800S or Arya.
  • Along those lines, there's some poofiness in the midbass for drums - kicks and toms. Of course, this is highly dependent on the recording of your track. But with my library consisting of a lot of alt-rock tracks with less-than-stellar productions, it does show up. For better recordings this isn't much of a problem. For this reason, it took me a couple of days listening across my wider library to really start to appreciate what these AMT drivers can do.
  • Staging is nothing to write home about. Just does not have the openness or size of the HD800S or Arya. It's more along the lines of the MM-500 but with less precise imaging.
I was extremely excited for the HEDDPhone TWO but ended up with some mixed thoughts. No headphone (or HEDDPHONE) is perfect. At the end of the day though I do think it's a very competitive offering. It manages to do one of the most important things in the headphone landscape: present a meaningfully different sound. While I won’t go so far as to guarantee you’ll love the HEDDPhone TWO, I’m positive it’s one you won’t easily forget.

Happy to answer any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back